AsiaTaiwanChiayi

A stop on the way to Alishan

Chiayi Travel Blog

Chenghuang Temple

People i met here who contributed to, and improved my trip:

I arrived into Chiayi a little after dusk and was happy to find a plethora of budget hotels to choose from near the train station. I wandered into 4 or 5 and ended up back at the first, where 450TWD ($15) got me a double bed, with en-suite hot water facilities and cable TV in my room, which was a rare treat. As a result, i couldn't drag myself out of the room at first, as i was glued to the screen!

Finally i managed to leave, as my rumbling stomach got the better of me and i only had to cross the road to get a serving of Chiayi's local speciality - Turkey Rice. It does what it says on the label! Rice is topped with Turkey trimmings and then a tasty gravy is poured over the top, which when combined serves up a tasty little treat.

Chenghuang Temple
Unfortunately it really is only a snack though and as i didn't know what else to order, i found myself filling up with a chicken burger from McDonalds! If there's one thing thats sadly lacking in Taiwan, its English menus and at this stage of my journey through Taiwan, i was often feeling hungry, or sick from too much fast food.

I spent the rest of the evening in front of the TV, watching movies, sport, National Geographic and news. It became so addictive that even when i switched it off and turned out the light, i was just itching to turn it back on again and couldn't sleep due to the temptation! It sounds crazy, but its totally true. I finally managed to leave the control alone and get to sleep around 3am, which maybe wasn't the cleverest of moves!

The next day i struggled to get up around 10.

Chenghuang Temple
15am and made my first priority to get a train ticket for the journey up to Alishan. It was a good job that i did, as i scored one of the last seats, and when i returned to the station to get the train, i noticed the 'sold out' sign hung up. Once i had accomplished my main mission for the morning, i decided that as i had a couple of hours until the train left, i would go and visit the main temple in the city.

It took around 30 minutes to walk to Changhuang Temple from the train station, but it gave me my first taste of a Taiwanese city, other than the capital Taipei, so i enjoyed looking at the architecture, even though i did find it a bit drab. The temple itself was quite impressive, with 3 stories and plenty of ornate items inside. I spent 20 minutes nosing around, before i decided that i best be heading back I stopped off for some lunch on the way and thankfully the food was on display, so i could point at what i wanted! At the same time, i don't really like eating this food either, as it is pre cooked and normally cold. Still, it was better than heding back to the golden arches! I arrived back at the station, just nicely in time to catch the 13.30 train.

Chiayi