Just passing through

Mandalay Travel Blog

People i met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Julia (Russia)

After the 13 hour train ride from Hsipaw, all we were interested in was finding a bed, any bed, to lie down in and fall asleep. As it turned out, the hotel that we had previously stayed in had no double rooms left and the hotel over the road was twice the price. As we were only looking to crash out for a few hours, we just took a box room with a single bed and were asleep before our heads had settled on the pillow!

The following day was a 7.30am start and all the early mornings and action packed days were beginning to take their toll on us. After breakfast we hired a trishaw driver to take us to the bus station and boarded the beat up old bus that was plying its way to Monywa. What always baffles me is how anyone can sit normally on these buses. Im only 175cm and i can never get my legs into the space provided, so god knows what a hassle it must be for tall people! I managed to finish off George Orwell's 'Burmese Days' during our 4 hour trip, which i found a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Deats says:
This is true, but Julia cant even sit in them! She must be 150cm or something. I wish id have taken a photo of the leg room, its hard to put into words just how small a space you get lol.
Posted on: Feb 11, 2008
portia says:
I would think the average Burmese is shorter than you!
Posted on: Feb 10, 2008