Its only just begun....

Yichang Travel Blog

People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Juliana (Russia)

After 4 days couped up on a boat, we headed for the railway station in Yichang to buy our onward tickets. Unfortunately, we were informed that there were no sleeper births to Sanjiang any time soon, so we had to buy hard seats for the 15 hour journey. On the up side, this was an incredibly cheap option, only costing just over 3 pounds (50Y, $6)! Tickets in hand we checked in to the station hotel and headed out for a meal with a lady from New Zealand and her son.

The following day, we checked out and jumped on the 13.02 train for an arse numbing 15 hours, hard seat, journey south. Unfortunately the water boiler in the carriage wasn’t warm, so no tea and noodles, which left us with 1 cold can of beans, a bag of skittles and a few biscuits to last us for lunch, dinner and supper!

After several games of cards and many albums on my MP3 player, we eventually pulled into Sanjiangxian station just before 4.00am. I’m not sure what the xian stands for, but my literal translation would be ‘the arse end of nowhere’. With little other choice we got in a taxi and paid 30Y for the journey to the town.

Deats says:
Haha, sounds like we probably met the same driver, but you got a better deal!
Posted on: Nov 15, 2008
josephinedraper says:
I remember sanjiang well, they stopped and we literally jumped onto the tracks, then took the only taxi available, a pimped up van. Sanjiang was where we had our one and only conversation in chinese - it went like this: me: "long distance bus station, how much?" driver: " 20 yuan" me: "ok"! made us happy to even speak that much chinese though!
Posted on: Nov 14, 2008
Amanda says:
Sometimes I think I'm so jealous of what you're doing... and then sometimes I read an entry like this and the reality hits me, of just how hard it must be at times. Can't wait for pics of this bit...
Posted on: Jan 27, 2007