A motor bike accident before a wonderful sunset.

Pura Tanah Lot Travel Blog

Pura Tanah Lot Temple

People i met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Julia (Russia), Markus (Finland), Eero, Matti, Antti, Jarkko, Jere (Finland)

Back in Kuta, we met up with Markus at the guesthouse and went out for a nice dinner together at the ever reliable bamboo corner. Stories were exchanged and we were pleased to see Markus was still in one piece after completing his surf course. He was that chuffed with it, he had even purchased a surf board and all the gear to go with it. After a few beers, an early night was in order, after our action packed long day.

We had a nice lie in on Saturday, before heading down to Kuta beach to do some sun bathing. After an hour or so of bronzing ourselves, it was out for lunch with Markus and some Finnish guys he had met over the previous days.

One of the temples at Pura Tanah Lot
Bellies filled and we went off together to book our transport to the Gili Islands, managing to get it really cheap as there were 8 of us travelling. After chilling out back at the hostel and sending some mail out, we were ready to head to Purah Tanah Lot.

#SMASH# was followed by a tirade of expletives, as i assessed the damage i had just caused. Been the impatient type, i had tried to get our motorbike out of a small courtyard, whilst holding both Julia's and my own helmet. I lost it on a downhill curb and broke the front plastic section of our bike and pushed over another guys bike in the process, scratching a little bit on the side. As the bikes were hired from our hotel, it was decided that we would just sort it out when we got back from the temple.

Thankfully the sun had not set by the time that we arrived at Pura Tanah Lot, and we had half an hour to walk around and enjoy the beauty, sadly we were sharing this with a massive crowd of other tourists.

Temple at Pura Tanah Lot
The sunset itself was spectacular, and shortly after it had descended over the horizon, we made our way back to Kuta.

On route, i decided to stop at a garage to get a quote for the damage on the bike, and i was relieved to hear that the maximum it could be was $10 for a new part, more likely $6 though. The mechanic said that if I was told any more, then I should refuse to pay as I was been ripped off. I was therefore shocked and annoyed when i was asked for $25 when i got back to the guesthouse. When i told the guy, who had previously been very nice, that i already had a quote and i knew the correct price, he went off his head. He started looking around the bike saying that there was more damage than existed, saying a finger print was a scratch - i wiped it off and this made him even angrier, to the extent he kicked his bike so hard that the back panel on it broke! I told him i would wait until he had calmed down and was rational, and returned 10 minutes later.

Pura Tanah Lot at sunset
Sadly, he was even more worked up and said that the bike part was only $6, but he wanted an extra $15 for a new sticker! When i told him that a sticker couldn't possibly cost 3 times the part itself, he told me that he was going to call the police and i said that was fine, as i was more than happy to pay $10, which would easily cover the part and the sticker. This annoyed him even more so he decided to threaten me with physical violence unless i gave him the money. At this point i walked away and went out for my Dinner, completely shocked that he had turned from a nice bloke into a raving monster!

Our night was spent having Dinner and drinks, and my mood was improved no end by getting news that Leeds had won at Nottingham Forest. Nothing makes me happier than a Leeds victory! We ended up hitting the sports bar to watch some Premier League matches before hitting the hay.

Sunset at Bangsal harbour

The following morning I settled the room bill and there was a sensible man on reception, who agreed the price of the bike was $10 and the other bike that had a broken panel and scratch was $15. The second bike which had been worse off had only cost $15, thus showing the guy had been out to rip me off for as much as possible.

Our trip to Gili Trawangan consisted of a minibus to the port at Padangbai followed by a ferry across to Lombok, a bus up to Bangsal port and then another small boat across to the island. To leave Bali on a sour note, whilst we were waiting for the ferry in a cafe, a group of bag carriers came up and unbeknown to us, took our bags 100m up the road to the boat.

Antti, Eero, Jere and Matti on the boat to the Gilis
At first we thought they were stolen, but were happy to see them on the backs of some disappearing blokes. After catching up with them at the ferry, they had the audacity to tell us that they wanted paying for their 'service'. When we explained that we weren't going to as we didn't want any such service, they turned nasty. A group gathered around Markus and it was a complete disgrace. They started saying that only Bali people are good and all tourists are capitalists. They continued to tell us how we were not welcome on their island, before we decided it was time to tell them to take a running jump. The last 2 days had sadly shown me the really horrible side to the Balinese.

Our 25km ferry ride from Padangbai to Lembar took a mind numbing 5 hours, as we literally trundled across to Lombok. Once there, the road to Bangsal was very scenic and full of macaques looking for food.

Bangsal harbour
Bangsal port was also very pretty, despite a number of hawkers, with the beach been backed with palm trees and the moon, which was almost full, was even out. Boarding the outrigger, the sun began to set over Gunung Agung on Bali and it made for a breathtaking trip.

Deats says:
We booked a trip through a travel agency in Kuta which took us all the way to the Gilis. I dont know if there is a public minibus, but i guess there should be
Posted on: Jun 14, 2009
gsha says:
where do i take the minibus to padang bai and hw long is it?
Posted on: Jun 14, 2009
Deats says:
Ive travelled to the same place more than once and often left with different opinions. Bangkok is an ideal exaple, i both love and hate the place, every time i go back its one or the other and sometimes both! Maybe this will be the case next time im back here?!?!
Posted on: May 06, 2008
Pura Tanah Lot Temple
One of the temples at Pura Tanah L…
One of the temples at Pura Tanah …
Sunset at Bangsal harbour
Antti, Eero, Jere and Matti on the…
Antti, Eero, Jere and Matti on th…
Sunset over Pura Tanah Lot