Zhijin Cave

Zhijin Travel Blog

People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Juliana (Russia), 2 lovely unknown women! (Chinese)

We arrived into Anshun at 6.15am and after checking into a grotty hotel near the station, decided we would punish ourselves further by taking a gruelling 8 hour round trip (travelling time) to Zhijin Cave. We caught our first bus to the long distance bus staion, before a 3 hour journey through some remarkably interesting topography. The land was dotted with small but steep mountains, many of which had been terraced for farming. It was very odd, but beautifully intriging at the same time. When we reached Zhijin Town, it was a further 30 minutes in a taxi up to the cave, which we shared with 2 lovely Chinese women, who took us under their wing, even though they spoke no English and us no Chinese! We then went together for some lunch, letting them order but pointing to our phrase book ‘not too spicy’!

Zhijin Cave is the largest in China and one of the largest in the World, measuring 12.

1km in length and up to 150m in height. Inside the cave was something special, right from the offset. The formations of stalagmites and stalagtites were something to be seen to be believed, having formed over the last 500,000 years. The cave was a mix of colours and shapes, with every area offering up some inspiring sights and photo opportunities. The tour lasted around 2 hours, which was just about enough in the thin air, which the cave offered to breathe.

To get back to Zhijin town, we took a local bus with our friendly Chinese adopted Mums, which soon filled up with a host of interesting local characters. My favourite by far was a woman carrying a basket of produce on her back and trying to contain a live chicken in her hand! She was closely followed by an old grandma carrying a huge sack and when her son (I believe) who was carrying a small child on his back tried to pay for the bus, she snatched the money off the ticket woman, threw back the money at the man and pulled out an old cloth with a few tattered notes in, to pay herself.

At the other end of the spectrum, were 2 business men in swanky suits, mixing it on the bus with the local villagers, I think they received as many strange looks as the ‘two white people’ on ‘their’ bus. It was a real look into local everyday life and really quite interesting.

Deats says:
I'll try to look at my ticket and see if it says. Id think a google search would bring it up as its one of the biggest in the World.
Posted on: Jan 09, 2007
portia says:
Sounds interesting! I need to find the Chinese names of this cave! Local transportation is definitely colorful!
Posted on: Jan 07, 2007