What exactly am i doing here!?

Kilis Travel Blog

People who contributed to and improved my trip:

According to Lousy Planets description, Kilis was simply somewhere that you had to go. Not for the first time i was left wondering what they had or hadn't seen in a destination, as whatever attracted them to Kilis, certainly wasn't on display when i paid it a visit. Now don't get me wrong here, Kilis is a pleasant little town, but you come across these at regular intervals in Turkey, and i think that the reason that 'the word isn't out' about this place, is because there is no word to get out.

It was under an hours ride by dolmush from Gaziantep and this cost 6YTL ($4), and i once again couldn't understand how the pricing system worked, as this seemed incredibly expensive for such a short trip.

Upon arrival the sun was out and it felt like a warm autumn day rather than winter, as i set off into the town centre with no need for a coat.

My first impressions were actually positive, as i enjoyed walking in the streets and soaking up the sun. There were countless Mosques, which at first grabbed my interest, but after the umpteenth, i was getting a little sick of them. A small bazaar was worth a brief wander through, but within an hour i was wondering what i was going to do next. I made up my mind to go and eat some baclava, which immediately lifted my spirits, as the sweet pastry layered with honey and pistachio’s dissolved in my mouth. Heavenly!

Back on the streets i opted to try and get out of the centre to see what lay in wait and once again the answer was countless Mosques.
Now if i was fresh into an Islamic country then i may have really enjoyed all of these, but i have spent God only knows how many months in the last few years in predominantly Muslim countries, so they are certainly begin to drag a bit. After three hours of trying to get excited about the place, i decided that it just wasn't for me and that i would head back to Gaziantep.

As the sun was still out i randomly came up with the notion that i would hitch hike back, maybe in protest to the steep dolmush price! I therefore walked to the outskirts of the town, and found the highway to Gaziantep. Two other guys were also trying to do the same thing and after about 15 minutes they gave up and caught a bus back into the centre where the bus terminal was. Straight after this a snazzy little car pulled up with two guys in and they happily agreed to give me a ride.
Its strange how quite often its the fancier cars that will stop, i had always expected it to the junk boxes.

The two blokes were actually salesmen and the driver spoke excellent English, so we conversed for the entire journey back. It was nice to finally meet someone in field sales, as when i try to explain my job to most people, they simply don't get it and think i work in a corner shop or something! Most of the conversation i thoroughly enjoyed, although more often than not Turkish guys seem to take great pride in boasting about sleeping with other women whilst they are married or dating, which the driver was also doing. Its hard to know what to say to this, as i think its bang out of order, so i normally just nod and smile and try to change the subject.

When we got back to Gaziantep the guys told me that they would pay for me to stay an extra night in their 4 star hotel, as it was on their business card, but i really had to be making a move, so declined the invitation.
I'm also sure that they would have wanted to go to a hooker bar, which was my other reason not to stay! I went and bought my bus ticket, ate another great kebab from the place that i had visited the previous evening and then returned to the Hotel to use their free wi-fi for a couple of hours, whilst waiting for the bus.

At 18.10 i set off for the terminal, which took about 30 minutes by public bus, even though it was only 6kms away. In the station there was a carnival atmosphere with loud Arabic music been thumped out on a drum and one of those percussion instruments that snake charmers use! Some people danced in the bus lot, which was quite a sight and probably the highlight of my day. What lay ahead was a 12 hour journey straight through the centre of Turkey to the town of Amasya, i wonder if it will be so warm there, i doubt it!

Deats says:
Haha, yeah but now ıve gone way away from there! Traveled up to the North last nıght - but ı wıll be back to Syrıa ın due course mate :)
ACraw says:
I meant to say Mom's hometown. oops
ACraw says:
I don't know but you keep on creeping closer to my Mom's(Halab)and grandfathers (Kessab, Syria) than Istanbul!! Have a good x-mas buddy
photo by: Deats