Western hospitality

Penjikent Travel Blog

Mosque

People I met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Julia (Russia), Mathieu (Canada)

When we got to Penjikent, Julia went straight to the post office so as she could call her Mum and wish her a Happy Birthday. Once she had done this, she got on the blower to Mathieu, a Canadian guy from Couch Surfing. He kindly offered to accommodate us for the night, so we went and collected our bags from the horrible home stay that we had previously stayed in. I was very tempted to tell the owner that we were staying with a Westerner for free, after he had been saying that Westerners didn't know the true meaning of 'hospitality'. It was actually rather strange that we should be in Tajikistan and yet relying on Westerners for hospitality, but he probably wouldn't have understood the irony.

Cafe Sim Sim - dodgy looking name!

Mathieu met us by a statue of Lenin and walked us back to his apartment, which he shared with a Tajik guy, who he worked alongside. It was nice to hang out at his house and chat about a range of things, whilst eating some ice creams and watching foreign news channels for the first time in God knows how long! We had our traditional beds made up on the floor for the evening and crashed just after midnight.

The next day we said goodbye to Mathieu for the time been, as we were going to head into the Fan Mountains again for a couple of days. We grabbed breakfast in Cafe Sim Sim, which has quite an amusing name in my opinion (see photo) and got my photos burned to DVD, before heading to the bazaar, to catch the bus out to Artush.

Cafe Sim Sim - dodgy looking name!
Julia at the Lenin statue waiting …
Julia at the Lenin statue waiting…
Penjikent