AsiaChinaXi'an

Terracotta Warriors and more!

Xi'an Travel Blog

People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Juliana (Russia)

We arrived in Xi'an on Wednesday night and after a longish walk, eventually found the 7 Sages Hostel. We got an early night in preparation for a big day ahead of us. We awoke early on Thursday and caught the bus to see the World famed Terracotta Warriors. The site comprised of 3 pits, each containing a range of soldiers, horses, weapons etc. By far the most impressive was Pit 1 containing whole legions of troops and horses. The site was imposing in its current condition, so i can only imagine what it would have looked like two millennia ago!

We then walked a couple of kilometers down the road, to take a look at the mausoleum of Emperor Qin Shi Huang, the merciless ruler, who not only had the terracotta warriors built to protect him, but buried his concubines, military leaders, relatives, officials and the designers of his tomb (due to them knowing the boobytraps) alive with him! It is thought the mausoleum was surrounded by mercury boobytraps and no-one has ever entered or looted the tomb since it was sealed.

.... Tutankharmun take note ;) Today it is a large grass mound surrounded by tranquil gardens and trees. There was also a performance staged, with traditional dress and impressive coreography, all a kind of story revolving around the Emperor.

We got back to Xi'an too late to do any museums, so decided to go and see the Bell and Drum tower. It looked really beautiful lit up at night. Unfortunately we got lost on the way back home and what should have been a 20 minute walk, turned into something more like 2 hours! At least it gave us a good chance to look around and inspect all of the citys fantastic wall.

The following day, we went to see a couple of sights within Xi’an. The first was the Big Goose Pagoda, although we decided that we didn’t want to pay the entrance fee to see yet more pagodas and temples.

Instead, we walked over to the Shaanxi History Museum and spent an hour or so looking at the development of this historic region. It was quite interesting, although not as enthralling as Lonely Planet had led us to believe.

We went back to our hostel and went out for a stomach exploding spicy meal (even though we were assured ‘no spicy’) followed by a couple of beers in the hostel bar, whilst watching some DVD’s. We called it a night around 23.30, but I awoke around 3.30am with terrible stomach pains. After visiting the toilet on 2 occasions, I then began vomiting. After a few more hours sleep, I awoke feeling a little better. I’m not sure whether it was the spicy food, 3 beers, or both combined. Either way, it left me rather paranoid of everything that I was consuming.

We had planned a large day of sightseeing, but still not feeling 100%, we limited our day to a trip to the Banpo Neolithic Village. Although quite interesting, it was nothing special to write home about. The site had some old artifacts dating back several millennia and also some old skeletons and foundations of a village that had stood there. We headed back to the hostel to play with their loveable dog and to collect our belongings, before catching the sleeper train to Chengdu.

worldup says:
I had a great time in Xi'an. We rented a two person bike and rode around the wall. Had a blast.
Posted on: Sep 28, 2007
Deats says:
Its really impressive, I'm surprised its in the condition it is. We pretty much walked the entire circumference and its one big wall!
Posted on: Dec 16, 2006
portia says:
Did you like the city wall? It's the stuff we read about in history books and novels, a city gate, wall, etc. And this one is very complete. I am so glad they preserved it.
Posted on: Dec 15, 2006