Tarsier Monkeys, the Chocolate Hills and Bank Fraud

Tagbilaran Travel Blog

Tarsier

People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Julia (Russia)

Tuesday was a much anticipated day, as we were going to see the best of Bohol. We made an early start and top of our agenda was a visit to the Tarsier centre, located around 15km north east of Tagbilaran. We had seen the pictures and heard the stories about these loveable little critters, but seeing them for the first time was still a pretty remarkable experience. Clinging to a tree branch and no larger than the palm of your hand, but with eyes larger than their brains, they really are quite an extraordinary creation. They also have extremely slow reactions and appear to be moving in freeze frame as they react to the sounds around them.

Travbuddy and the Tarsier go face to face
The centre had a reasonable sized enclosure containing 10 Tarsiers, of which we saw 4. We pondered whether anyone would notice if we slipped one up our sleeves on the way out... this idea was soon dashed when i realised that i was wearing a t-shirt, we opted for putting one in our bag instead...

After 45 minutes and our backpack slightly heavier than when we arrived ;) we caught a rickety old bus to the town of Loboc, where we had a brief look around, with the focal point been a lovely Catholic Church. Some refreshments were needed against the searing heat, before we pressed on to the Chocolate Hills, around another hour further north.

The Chocolate Hills seem to be on most people's travel itinary for the Philippines, but my impression of them was that although pretty, i wouldn't travel a long way if it were just for the purpose of seeing them alone.

Travbuddy meets the Tarsier
We climbed a viewing platform for some nice views, although it had begun to drizzle and most of the other tourists seemed oblivious that anyone else could be trying to enjoy their day, or also want to take pictures without strangers ruining them! We politely stood around in the rain, waiting our turn and hoping to get a couple of nice shots, but got increasingly frustrated as people crossed the barriers and stood around blocking other people's shots, long after they had taken their own photos. This is one of those things that REALLY makes me angry, so please please please, if you are one of those people and reading this right now, just take your photo and move out of the way to let other people have their opportunity! Rant over! Eventually we photographed the rolling hills, which take their names from looking like chocolate drops, before heading back down the hill by motorbike.
Loboc Church

A couple of hours later and we had arrived back into Tagbilaran, with the sun beginning to reappear. We therefore headed for the mall to play some old school arcade games for 5p a go, in an attempt to recapture our childhood. Afterwards we went to use the internet and i found a slightly worrying email from my Dad saying that a fraud squad officer from my bank had rung up asking to speak with me. This made me panic, so i went onto my internet banking to make sure everything was ok, i soon found out it wasn't. My last dozen withdrawals had been made in a 3 day period, all occurring in Kiev, Ukraine. I wondered if i had been sleep walking and whether to update my map on travbuddy, then i decided to think rationally. I went to find an international phone to call my bank, but everywhere was shut, so i was left wondering all night how someone in the Ukraine had happily helped themselves to $2000 of my money!

At least back in my room i had something to keep me occupied, as we chased a mouse around and eventaully tried to block its hole in the wall, demanding a third of the rent, or for it to stick to its own living quarters.

Me at the Chocolate Hills
We woke up in the morning to find the toilet roll had been eaten and the little critter was on the rampage once more. We gladly packed our bags and headed for the port to find the ferry we wanted was sold out. 3 hours later and we were lucky enough to catch a different ferry to Dumaguete.

Jeroenadmiraal says:
Ah I remember the chocolate hills :) Please tell me you didn't pose for the fake picture at the side of the viewing platform ;)
Posted on: Jun 20, 2010
Deats says:
:D
Posted on: Mar 12, 2008
JeAr says:
Gizmo is the cutest! but ur bluff made me laugh my a** off :D
Posted on: Mar 12, 2008
Tarsier
Travbuddy and the Tarsier go face …
Travbuddy and the Tarsier go face…
Winking Tarsier