Scones, strawberries and a nice cup of tea

Cameron Highlands Travel Blog

A yummy Cream tea, just like been back in England :)

People i met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Julia (Russia), Ash (England)

The Cameron Highlands are located around 1500m above sea level and provide a cooling change from the heat of Malaysia's low lying regions. Arriving into the small town of Tanah Rata quite late in the afternoon, it was quite a refreshing change to have to pull out a jumper from my rucksack. Fathers Guesthouse provided us with a free pick up service from the bus station and this came in handy as no sooner had we arrived, then it was raining heavily.

Having checked in and with nowhere to go due to the rain, we went and sat in the cosy communal restaurant and lounge and i was delighted to see that on the menu was scones with cream, jam and tea.

Ash devours a giant strawberry
This food always reminds me of going on family holidays down to Devon and sitting outside small cottage restaurants and pigging out with my Mum, Dad and brother. Today was no different and i was only too pleased to finish off some of Julia's, when the going got too tough for her :) A couple of hours later, a soaked Ash turned up and after some dinner we caught up on the latest gossip. That evening i watched the football on TV and also found out that Leeds had continued their fantastic start to the season with a 4-2 win over Millwall. I went to bed a happy camper.

After a decent English breakfast in the town, the 3 of us set out on a walk to the Sungai Palas Boh Tea Estate. The route we took was slightly foolish, as we walked along the roadside, rather than through the countryside, although this was done so as we could visit a few sights along the way.

Sungai Palas Boh Tea Estate
Our first stop was at a strawberry farm where Ash got a cream tea and then we went to a roadside shop and bought some fresh strawberries, which were consumed with the speed of a starving child. Big red grins on our faces, we carried on our merry way.

Arriving at the Tea Plantations, the clouds had started to roll in and a few drops of rain began to splatter down. We therefore stayed long enough to admire the views, before heading back to the main road, where we planned on taking a bus back to town. As it turned out, the weather improved a little, so we ended up walking back home, making it a tiring 20km round trip. In the evening we went out for some Dinner and bought some much needed rum and coke to take back to the hostel. A few drinks to sooth the pain in our aching feet and a couple of games of poker rounded the day off.

Sungai Palas Boh Tea Estate

My mood the following day reflected that of the weather - miserable. As a result i moped around the hotel and went to the internet for several hours. I didn't want to risk a walk, as the dark clouds suggested rain was imminent, so instead i brushed up on my online poker skills. My skills clearly need a lot more work, as i ended up losing all my 'pretend' chips', but i was consoled with the fact that at least it wasn't for real money :)

The following day we caught the morning bus back to Kuala Lumpur. The trip had proved to be a relaxing break for a couple of days, but i wasn't overly impressed with the area, as we had seen similar scenery in Indonesia - the scones and cream on the other hand had made the trip well worthwhile :)

Deats says:
Personally i didnt think they were that special, but horses for courses i guess!
Posted on: Nov 24, 2007
Amanda says:
I didn't get to see the Cameron Highlands, and I really wanted to - can't wait for your pics!
Posted on: Nov 21, 2007
A yummy Cream tea, just like been …
A yummy Cream tea, just like been…
Cameron Highlands