AsiaChinaLanzhou

Passing through for the third and final time!

Lanzhou Travel Blog

Dinner time

People I met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Julia (Russia), Portia (USA)

It only took 90 minutes to make it back to Lanzhou, and after the taxi dropped us off, we jumped straight into another one, to take us to a street which was famous for its cuisine. Portia had been recommended to go here by some locals on the speedboat. The car ride took us beside the yellow river, along the road that we had walked down the previous day, for roughly 15 minutes.

It was the middle of the afternoon when we arrived , so not all the restaurants were open, therefore we decided to buy some smaller dishes to nibble on and wait for the restaurant that specialised in lamb to begin business.

Typing my blog on the train
We ate a bread based dish, some rice with dates and sugar and also a red bean dessert. All of these were passable, but none of them I'd go out of my way to eat again.

It was Portia's first time in the centre of Lanzhou, so we had a little walk down the main pedestrian street and stopped at a vendors outside table to enjoy some 'Snow' beers (thats the brand name) ice cream and kebab sticks. Julia managed to dribble a big lump of fat on  my freshly washed trousers, she has a real skill at spilling things on other people - namely me - so be careful if you ever find yourself at a Dinner table with her.

By now it was after 18.00, so we wandered back to the narrow food street and entered the lamb restaurant, where we ordered a large plate of lamb, a soup with chicken and onions in and some other small bread based dishes, including Boazi, which is a little like a dumpling. It was Julia's first time to eat lamb, whilst its one of my favourite meats. I was happy to be travelling with two small women as it meant that i got to eat more!

Our train for Jiayuguan didn't depart until 22.20, so we still had some time to kill. Julia and i went to use the internet, whilst Portia played Zelda on her hand held console. Finally the time came to leave, so we collected our belongings and headed over to the station. The train originated in Lanzhou, so it was clean and habitable, meaning Portia's first experience of hard sleeper trains was not too bad!

Deats says:
Oh yeah, even with my notes i forget things :)
Posted on: May 28, 2008
portia says:
Hey, I "almost" hit the dummy with my arrow! And you didn't mention losing the camera case. Was it too painful to remember?
Posted on: May 26, 2008
portia says:
yeah I must admit the sleeper train was not as bad as I thought. and I managed to sleep both times, unlike you the second time! :)
Posted on: May 26, 2008