Our big night out - Iran style :)

Mahan Travel Blog

People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Julia (Russia), Reza, Mahdieh and Parsa (Iran)

Reza had to wake Julia and I up from our afternoon nap, as we had predictably managed to fall into a deep sleep! Wiping the wax from my eyes, i stumbled around for a few minutes, before acknowledging that i was in a fit condition to leave the house! Mahdieh packed some food and drinks into the car and with Parsa singing Scooby Doo, Reza pulled the car onto the motorway and we were on our way to nearby Mahan.

With the clocks having gone back an hour earlier in the week, the nights were getting darker earlier and it had only just gone 17.30 when the sun set and the prayer symbolising the end of Ramadan rung from the minarets. Reza and Mahdieh took the chance to consume some much deserved liquid and food, whilst Julia and I went for a look in the Aramgah-e Shah Ne'matollah Vali, a mausoleum for a famous Sufi dervish.

The minarets had been illuminated in an eerie green colour and inside people were sat praying. Wandering around the perimeter of the building, we saw some attractive badgirs (wind towers) and a nice park, which was already filling with hungry picnickers.

Mahans main tourist draw card is the Bagh-e Shahzde, the former residence of the Qajar Prince Abdul Hamid Mirza. Entering the grounds, a long qanat (water channel) runs down from the Palace and both of these were beautifully lit. As we sat on a tea bed in the cool evening air, traditional music came from within the building, making for a thoroughly relaxing experience. The five of us chatted whilst each devouring an ice cream and sipping on a cup of hot tea.

It seemed a shame to leave, but Reza had a treat in store for us, as he took us to a great little restaurant located on the edge of town, which served up some of the best traditional food in the region. The dish we were served was a mixture of warm aubergines and a sort of creamy dairy product, which is topped with garlic. For dessert, Mahdieh had made something which i thought resembled porridge, and it also tasted very good. By the time we left the cafe, Parsa was already soundly asleep and when we got home the rest of us were eager to join him! It had been a long but thoroughly enjoyable day.

Deats says:
Thanks Sue. I totally know what you mean. I love Europe, but it really is no different from been at home. Everyone speaks English, all prices are fixed and the people although great are not quite unique in the same way. Still, it beats working haha. Enjoy your relaxation, prost!
Posted on: Oct 11, 2008
treadie53 says:
Hi there Phil
Nice to see you still exploring the fascinating places of the world! As for me now back in "civilization" in Germany doing the "catch up with friends" part of my trip rather than the "let's explore a new place"! Although it's great to see my friends , being in Europe just isn't the same as the earlier part of my trip. You know, everything very clean and organized, food predictable (but yummy!) etc! I know you understand what I'm trying to say!
Anyway, keep on exploring and pushing the edges
Posted on: Oct 07, 2008