Heineken Open'er Festival

Gdynia Travel Blog

Me and Anna at the house

People I met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Ania (Poland), Anna (Poland), Anna (Poland), (Ban)Anna (Poland), Mihail (Poland), Greg (Poland), Lukas (Poland), Tomek (Poland), Aga (Poland)

So I wouldnt claim to be the greatest driver in the World and I admit I've broken the speed limit on occasion. Before entering a Polish guys (Greg) car I'd never met before, I was pre warned he thought of himself as a bit of a boy racer. Hmmm, understatement. As we hit the two lane 'motorway' between Krakow and Lodz, the speedometer touched 220kph (around 140mph) as we weaved our way north through rush hour traffic. For some reason Greg had decided he would drive the 800 kilometres up to Gdansk at 6pm.

Ania preparing to party
Unsurprisingly, progress was good, this was until we reached Lodz and got a flat tyre. Thankfully it happened within the city just after some traffic lights. If it had happened 20 minutes earlier, I would probably not be here writing this now.

So after 2 hours searching for a garage to get a new tyre, we were eventually back on our way. The two lanes north of Lodz however turned into one. Thus the next four hours of our trip were spent weaving in and out of lorries into oncoming traffic in the black of night. After several near death 'head on' experiences, Greg decides he needs a quick sleep! So after a short nap, we make it to our house in Gdynia at 3am, thankfully in one piece

Greeted by Ania's Polish friends (5 girls and 3 guys in total) I explain that I am exhausted and off to sleep.

Mihail and Anna
Oh no I'm not, not until I have been initiated into their social circle! The next 30 minutes is spent consuming a litre of vodka between Greg, Mihail and me. The way the Poles drink their vodka is to have a shot of vodka followed by a shot of juice and whoever you toast must take the next shot! I assure you, it's all very messy!

The next three days were spent drinking too much vodka and going to the Heineken Open'er festival. Acts included Pharrell Williams, Kanye West, The Streets, Roger Sanchez, Franz Ferdinand, Skin, Placebo, Manu Chao and my favourite Basement Jaxx. It was a pretty sweet event, but I was happy when it was all over and I could be back amongst backpackers drinking rather than the crazy Polish ;)

TravChef says:
I was just...holy we have a common friend!! Greg (Polish) and then I saw the photo...oh no...different Greg because my Greg he wouldn't think he is a boy racer lol...you made my heart drop from 101th Taipei Tower Floor! LOL
Posted on: Jan 03, 2015
missandrea81 says:
Being there with 3 Annas and 1 Ania, must have been confusing, drinking or not. ;)
Posted on: Nov 26, 2009