Heavy backpacks

Helsinki Travel Blog

People i met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Brian and Cheanng (America), Steve (Ireland)

The ferry ride from Tallinn to Helsinki was mildly amusing, as it was filled with 2 hours of terrible Finnish karaoke! So on arriving in Helsinki at the ferry terminal i stupidly decided i'd walk the 5km to my hostel with my 3 backpacks, to clear my head and get some air..... very dumb. An hour and a bit later (9pm) i arrived completely knackered and in no mood for a Friday night out, which is rather uncharacteristic! So i caught an early evening after watching an appauling dvd.

Saturday i headed for the fortress island of Suromelina, but left my phone on the ferry whilst trying to charge it.

I had a mad dash around the island and then headed back to the port to meet the ferry rearriving from Helsinki. Thankfully nobody had taken it, but it had kind of messed up my time on the island as i was too hurried. Back in central Helsinki i took a walk around and visited the various 'tourist attractions' including **********

Luckily i got talking to some crazy Irish guy called Steve when i got back to the hostel and we decided we should go out and paint the town red. To my horror the first bar we went in was charging 5Euro for a half litre of beer. We made a swift exit and found beer for 2.5Euro for 0.4 litre and set up camp for a good few hours. We got chatting to a good few locals and also met 2 American guys, Brian and Cheanng. Steve and I carried on to a club and met a nice Finnish girl who got us in for free and jumped the queue as she knew the bouncers. Helsinki seems to be a pretty big party town and we stayed out until the clubs shut at 4am. This posed a problem, Stadion Hostel closes its doors between 3am and 7am! I stumbled back and decided the best thing to do was fall asleep on a table outside the hostel. Around 5.30am some Italians who were leaving the hostel woke me up and let me in and i managed to eventually get to bed!

Sunday was spent chilling out and i also crept through an open gate into the olympic stadium complex and i took a look around for a short while. Brian, Chang and I then went and caught the night bus to St Petersburg.

Deats says:
Haha, yeah a bit silly! Ive managed to cut down on stuff, but always seem to have so many little things that end up taking way too much room - even all my power cords, camera accessories, laptop, underwater housing, MP3 and cables etc etc, its ridiculous :)
Posted on: May 08, 2008
treadie53 says:
I'll be travelling with Summer & Winter gear and I know I will have too much gear(also need to travel with my laptop). Still even I've never had 3 backpacks! Champion! Ha!
Posted on: May 07, 2008
Deats says:
Yeah i know! Carrying way too much sh+T, but i had all my summer and winter gear including hiking boots etc. Im down to 1 bag and a small day bag now, thats around 8kilos less! What a retard i was :D
Posted on: Apr 21, 2008