AsiaChinaGuilin

HI = Hostel Incompetence, YHA = You're Having Alaugh

Guilin Travel Blog

A view of Guilin from Fubo Shan

People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Juliana (Russia)

We arrived into Guilin around 8.45pm, pretty shattered and ready to get to our hostel for some food and a drink. We pulled out our Backstreet Youth Hostel flyer and followed its instructions to wait for the No. 2 bus, leaving from near the bus station. After 10 minutes we put our bags down, realising that the second we did the bus would arrive. Unfortunately this didn't work, as we watched countless buses pass by. After 40 minutes we lost our patience and decided to jump on any bus heading in the right direction and take it from there. Sods law meant that the bus we jumped on immediately turned the wrong way and we had to jump off it! Now really annoyed, we decided to walk, what we believed would be 15 minutes.

A view of Guilin from Fubo Shan
30 minutes later, and almost an hour and a half since we arrived in Guilin we reached the hostel.

I finally lost my cool when the hostel receptionist told us that the cheapest rooms available, were infact twice the price of what was quoted on the flyers, as they were conveniently doing maintenance to all the cheap dorms! Explaining what we had gone through to get there, i suggested a discount would only be fair, at which point another member of staff suggested i go and stay at Flowers Hostel if i didn't like this one. I asked if he believed that hostel would treat us better and was also nicer, to which he replied yes to both accounts! I told him it could hardly get any worse and we left, opting for a taxi to take us back to the station we had come from, where the hostel was situated! Thankfully this hostel was much more accomodating and sympathetic, reopening their kitchen to feed us some dinner!

Our first day in Guilin was spent dawdling around the town and getting a workout by climbing Fubo Shan, for some aerial views across the town, which was dotted with interesting Karst rock formations.

2 pagoda lake
Unfortunately it was a bit too foggy to get really good views, and we had already seen the Karst formations at Kunming at Anshun, so the initial WOW factor wasn't there. Still, it made for a nice day out, which was ended with a few beers and dvd's in the hostel bar at night time.

Our second full day was spent doing much the same as the first, wandering around doing sweet fa. I did go for a highly recommendable haircut though, which included a 15 minute hairwash and 15 minute massage, all for under a pound!  It made Julia and I realise why all Chinese women seem to have fantastic hair.... why not go to the hairdressers on a regular basis at that price!? If only i could find this kind of service at these prices in England, the hairdressers would become my second home!

Deats says:
The post was by a guy saying that i was abusing Chinese because i said my haircut was cheap and other such nonsense. Eric banned him thankfully. Guilin is a pretty nice place and i could think of worse places to live. Still, i could think of better ones too :)
Posted on: Dec 01, 2007
Amanda says:
Wow, I wonder what the post under yours used to say? Fill me in...and would you recommend living in Guilin? I'm thinking of teaching English there; ACK!
Posted on: Nov 28, 2007
Deats says:
Maybe you should become literate before posting again, you angry, sad little child. Cheers.
Posted on: Apr 03, 2007