Get me out of here!

Ismayilli Travel Blog

People I met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Julia (Russia)

It was 14.00 when we got back to Ismayilli, but we weren't able to head on to Sheki, as we had already paid for another night at the hotel. To pass the time we walked into the centre of town in search of some food and an internet cafe that actually had internet access. Looking for food was once again useless, as all the cafes were serving the same rubbish at inflated prices. Eventually we found an internet cafe which loaded each page in a speedy 15 minutes and after one hour we were totally fed up with this, so went to the grocery store for some food. The staff here fell into line with the other members of the town in their inept service, as they kept trying to overcharge us for what we wanted to buy.

A Bounty Bar that had a 60q sticker supposedly cost 70q/ Did they think we couldn't read? Then two tomatoes came to 30q on the scales but the woman wanted 60q. Finally cheese at 1.20q and bread at 40q somehow came to a combined total of 1.90q. When we complained about the latter and asked them to add it up on the calculator they became very offended. I couldn't quite follow what the store attendant then did, as he punched in number after number, divided, took the square root and multiplied all this by Pi. When this failed he hit the clear button and typed in 1.9. Fuck it, I just wanted to get the hell out of this pantomime setting, so handed over the money, took the goods and went back to the hotel.

We spent the night listening to some music on my laptop, eating sandwiches, drinking tea and I wrote my blog. A few years ago my solution to such boredom would have been to go out and get paralytic on $1 bottles of beer, but since my problems back in 2006 I've had to limit these little sessions to special occasions. Whooooah, there goes a mouse under the bed, thats got Julia freaked out!

The following morning we checked out of the room and had to hitch hike to the next town of Qebela, as there was no public transport. It took about 20 minutes to find a car willing to take us and we had to pay 2 Manat ($2.50) each for the 40km trip. A rusted orange bus took us the remaining 3 hours to Sheki, overloaded with enough wood to build a small house.

Deats says:
Haha, maybe you are right :)
Posted on: Aug 30, 2009
almond72 says:
Maybe that's where they train the latest rocket scientists ! Advanced mathematics that your puny brain can't comprehend. lol
Posted on: Aug 29, 2009