Everybody was kung fu fighting.....

Shaolin Temple Travel Blog

People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Juliana (Russia)

Ok, so not quite literally, but i couldn't get that song out of my head for days! We went on the tour from the Minguan HI in Luoyang and wouldn't recommend it too highly. I was told it was a travellers tour, but the guide chose to speak no English as there were only 2 non Chinese on the tour, even though she could when it came to getting money from us.

Having been told we only paid 30RMB for transport, we were annoyed to be asked for another 185RMB when we got on the bus for entrance to 3 temples.... we thought we only went to Shaolin, which is 100RMB and includes a cool Kung Fu show, but we were told we had to pay this, no questions asked! The other tickets added to around 70RMB, i guess the rest went into the guides pocket.

So, the first stop was a rather unimpressive temple, with no English signs and an uncooperative guide, but afterwards a Chinese guy told us the importance. It happened that this was where the first Buddhist scriptures brought back to China were housed. The second temple was the Songshan temple, which was slightly more impressive with a few English signs to help us out. The most interesting thing here was a 4500 year old tree, it was quite a sight.

Eventually we made it to Shaolin Temple and the first port of call was to watch a Kung Fu demonstration. We saw the guys smashing metal with their heads, making a hole in a piece of glass with one finger and bending a bamboo cane on their throats. The show alone was worth the entrance fee in my opinion. After this we went on to visit the temple itself, which had some nice wooden carvings and followed this by visiting an area called the pagoda forest. Unsurprisingly, this section housed a large variety of impressive pagodas. This was our final stop and after boarding the minibus, we were taken back to Luoyang

Deats says:
Yeah they really sucked, i dont like tours in general as things like this happen all too often!
Posted on: Mar 11, 2009
Connie says:
LOL - the exact same thing happened to me! I went with same tour from Minguan HI and I was so angry that I refused to pay the extra entry fees.
Posted on: Mar 09, 2009