Dr Ho

Lijiang Travel Blog

People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Juliana (Russia)

For our last day in the Lijiang region, we decided to head 15 kilometres north to the small town of Baisha, which is famous for 2 reasons. The first is that it used to be the capital of the Naxi kingdom and the second is due to a character called Dr Ho. We will come to him later!

The town itself has little to offer in terms of tourist attractions, but the cobbled un-touristy streets make for an extremely pleasant walk. After an hour meandering up and down, we took residence in the café Buena Vista, which served up a delicious dish of sweet and sour pork with apples.

After a beer and a thorough thrashing of Julia at cards, we decided to go in search of Dr Ho.

As it turned out, Dr Ho found us, about 2 seconds after leaving the café. He dragged us into his shop of traditional Chinese herbal medicines and flooded our heads with tales of the miraculous recoveries of some of his patients. Dr Ho had cured both cancer and leukemia during his 84 years on this planet and met many famous people including Michael Palin. The guy was quite remarkable, although he seemed a little caught up in all the fame, repeatedly assuring us of his World famous healing credentials. With little to lose, I decided to take some of his medicines, which he assured me would help with my pancreas and other ailments. Along with the medicine he also gave me an officially stamped letter, so I could get the drugs out of the country!

All in all this rounded off our time in the Lijiang area perfectly and it certainly rates as one of my favourite regions that I have ever had the honour of traveling in.

Deats says:
Yeah, he's like the crazy doctor that you expect to find in China! He was very proud of his fame ;)
Posted on: Apr 21, 2008
James1985 says:
i remember seeing him on michael pailins himilaya i think!
Posted on: Apr 21, 2008
portia says:
For some reason, I think this "Lijiang" on the map is not the right one!
Posted on: Dec 26, 2006