Qufu Travel Blog

People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Juliana (Russia)

As seems the case in so many Chinese towns and cities, our bus from Tai’an dropped us right on the outskirts of Qufu. The prospect of a 45 minute walk with our backpacks left us with little option but to be ripped off by a motorized rickshaw, for the 5 minute ride into town. The female rickshaw driver then insisted the hotel she left us at was the one from our book, which clearly it wasn’t. We looked elsewhere and in the end found a cheapie, I don’t even know the name of where we stayed, but for 25 Yuan for a double room, I wasn’t complaining!

Next task was to grab a local bus out to Yanzhou train station, which was 16km away, as there was no train station in Qufu.

We arrived at the station with a piece of paper saying our destination, date and preferred time of travel. The lady said no tickets, so we stepped away and altered the dates and times. Again, no tickets, basically no tickets to Nanjing for us…. period. Not to be put off, we went to another window. This time hesitation, before the ‘no ticket’ response, so on to another window. This time the woman shouted with her colleagues and before long we had 3 ticket sellers, a security guard and 2 Chinese people all gathered around, playing charades with us! To our relief, 1 of the women finally came back with 2 sleeper tickets, for the following night. Persistence pays!

The following day, we got up to take in the city sites. The main attractions are all based around the famous Chinese philosopher, Confucius. We started our tour at the Confucius mansions, where his family, the Kongs, resided after his death, before heading across to the Confucius Temple. Confucius was a poor man, so all of the sites were built after his death, in memory of him and his teachings. After a spot of lunch we walked up to the Confucian forest to see his final resting place. The forest itself contains not only Confucius, but also all of his descendants from the last 2000 years. We eventually got annoyed by the amount of Chinese women trying to get us to rent a bike, so headed back to the centre for a spot of Dinner before catching the overnight train to Nanjing.

Deats says:
Surprisingly we never learnt a thing about Confucius at school, so some of it went over my head. I think i need to get a book to read to bring a few things to light :)
Posted on: Dec 25, 2006
portia says:
Hi, I hope it was a worthwhile experience, you do need a lot of historical background to appreciate some of the things there.
Posted on: Dec 25, 2006