Back in Tbilisi

Tbilisi Travel Blog

Who's a pretty boy!

People I met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Julia (Russia)

Back in Tbilisi for the final time we once again stayed with Nana, who had kindly looked after our large rucksacks whilst we were in Kazbegi. As a farewell Dinner Julia and Nana cooked up a storm and i was treated to some delicious fried potatoes with sausages, scrambled egg and battered cauliflower. To satisfy my sweet tooth we had some cakes and biscuits for desert, after which i was completely stuffed.

The following morning was an early start and after saying our goodbyes to Nana and Karol the bird, we caught the metro to the train station. Whilst Lousy Planet advised paying for a bus ticket to Yerevan and getting off the marshrutka less than halfway (this would cost 30 Lari - $18.

Nana and Julia
50), we knew there had to be a cheaper way to reach Alaverdi, located 25kms inside the Armenian border. For the umpteenth time we ditched our book and relied on our initiative to get to where we wanted to go, which was proving 100% more reliable. I honestly think that this edition of LP is the worst yet, so if you are heading to this part of the World, i strongly recommend finding another book to help you on your way.

At 09.15 there was a marshrutka going to Marneuli (2.5GEL), so we jumped on this as it took us halfway to the border. From Marneuli we connected to a marshrutka that took us all the way to the border at Sadakhlo (3GEL). This part of the journey wasn't the most pleasant as a young girl sat next to me vomited everywhere, but thats life! So it cost us 11GEL ($6.75) to get to where we needed to go rather than the LP's recommended way of paying 60GEL ($37)! Things like this really get on my nerves, as it shows the LP authors do feck all research to help the readers, which has me questioning why i pay so much for a book that is often useless.

The border crossing out of Georgia went smoothly and whilst it was only a temporary end to our time in the country, i felt sad to be leaving the place behind. The people had been fantastic, the sites wonderful and the caucuses region was surpassing my wildest expectations.

Whos a pretty boy!