Awaiting another tour?

Ulaanbaatar Travel Blog

People i met here, who contributed to and improved my trip: Juliana (Russia), Ed (England), Harry (England), Shuhei (Japan), Mr Lee (South Korea)

Arriving back in Ulaanbaatar, we headed straight for a restaurant, to eat something other than mutton and dumplings! The order was placed for steak, chips, egg and salad. To our horror it was mutton steak, but this still didn't stop it from vanishing off the plate in the blink of an eye. Upon arrival back at Gana's, the first destination was the bathroom, to take my first shower in 6 days! 20 minutes later and i was beginning to resemble some form of living creature. Unfortunately we were then told that there was a problem in staying at the hostel, as it was getting too cold.

They kindly took us to their family apartment instead, which was just 2 blocks away and with central heating, perfect.

Unpacked and settled, Julia and I headed out to meet the guys from the tour for a few farewell drinks. We went to Daves Bar, Khan Brau, the Grand Khaan Irish bar and back to Daves to watch the football at midnight. Mr Lee, ever the competitive character, ended up playing drinking games with Ed, whilst Shuhei ended up in the toilets been sick! Quite an entertaining end to the trip.

The next week was spent waiting for Bobby, at the UB guesthouse, to find some other backpackers to do the Gobi desert trip with us. Unfortunately this was not to be. We therefore filled the days by visiting the Naadam Stadium, Buddah Park, Zaisan Memorial for sweeping views of the city and Natural History Museum, which contained some pretty cool dinosaur skeletons.

I also picked up an unbelievably cheap haircut, only $0.80, maybe you could tell?!

On a night time, we frequented a couple of our favourite bars and restaurants. Bohemia is recommendable, for a cheap western meal, The Black Dolphin served us large, quality, cheap portions of Mongolian food, whilst we found an excellent Chinese restaurant and gave our tastebuds a sample of what was in store for the following months. Our favourite bar was definitely the Grand Khaan Irish Bar, which although slightly expensive for Mongolia ($1.80 a beer), was always busy, with attentive staff, live music and plenty of bar snacks.

Unfortunately we were unable to buy any direct tickets out of Ulaanbaatar to Beijing, so instead we caught the train out on Sunday night, to the border crossing of Erenhot/Erlian, for the next leg of our adventure!

Deats says:
Please let me know how the Gobi trip and Nadaam works out! I think i need to plan a trip around that too :)
Posted on: May 06, 2008
treadie53 says:
Not surprised! Everyone says the same thing! I'm heading to the Gobi early July before Nadaam via Golden Gobi Hostel (max 5 people, yeah!). Supposed to be a great adventure as the family are originally from the Gobi so know it "like the back of their hand"!
Posted on: May 04, 2008
Deats says:
Mongolia really is special. Again, its somewhere im very keen to head back to and check out the Gobi desert. I cant put my finger on why its just that amazing... but it is!!
Posted on: Feb 17, 2008