Yanchep National Park

Yanchep Travel Blog

Waking up to the sound of rain on the tin roof and the loud clapping of the thunder and lighting, I was sure I was going to get a phone call from my friends canceling our trip to Yanchep National Park, but to my surprise they rocked up at my door on time and excited about a little trip down memory lane. For me and my friend Ena we had spent time at Yanchep National Park as young kids, picnicking and exploring a park full of Kangaroos, Koalas and lots of native birds so were pretty excited to see how much the park had changed. For Jade the Queenslander this was a first for her and she could wait to see what we were raving about.

Arriving at the park we paid our $10 entry fee and were given a map and pamphlet of all the different activities you could do in the park. One of the first activities we wanted to do was a tour of the Crystal cave.

McNess Lake
With many caves in the park, this is the only cave in the park which tourists are allowed to see. Well actually I tell a lie, there is another cave called The Cabaret Cave, which is a cave used for functions. There are over 600 documented caves in the park, but they now only open 2 cave to the public.

To view the cave we need to book and pay $6.50 for the tour at the visitors centre. The tour didn’t start for another hour so we decided to go check out the Koala enclosure and the chocolate shop, called Chocolate Drops. Yum!!! In the Koala enclosure there are 13 cute koalas to see and we were lucky to see 3 of them up close. What a life being a Koala. Sleep all day, eat all day then sleep some more, what more could you ask for.

Being the chocoholics that we are, we couldn’t go past the Chocolate Drops Chocolate Shop. This shop makes all its own chocolates and there was soooooo much to choose from it took us a REALLY long time to pick. I went with the Rocky Road and the Raspberry Freeze (white chocolate version of Rocky Road).

Now loaded up with our chocolate treats it was time for our tour of the Crystal Cave.

Kangaroos Everywhere
Arriving at the cave I was exited to see what this cave is like as after seeing the cave in Laos I was interested in seeing the differences. The guide arrived and we headed down into the cave. The guide tells us that the caves in the park are formed by the underground streams. These caves are quite close to the surface because the streams are only 10 metres below the surface.  In comparison, the Leeuwin-Naturaliste Range has a water table of more than 200 metres in depth, and therefore has large caves.

Learning about Stalagmites and Stalactites it was interesting to hear how these are formed and it was apparent why this cave was called Crystal Cave. Some of the Stalagmites and Stalactites looked like crystals.

more Roo's
After exploring the cave we headed to the Yanchep Inn for some good food. Arriving at the Inn it was an old colonial style building with a lot of history.

Built in 1936, the Yanchep Inn quickly became a popular meeting place. World War II brought with it petrol rationing, which contributed to the quieting of the park and Inn. Government’s budgets tightening brought about the closure of the park and its return to bush. The RAAF took over in 1943. October of that year, the Inn became a rehabilitation unit for servicemen. At the end of the war, the RAAF vacated the Inn and private enterprise took over again. The Inn became known as the “Honeymoon Hotel” as numbers of people marrying and enjoying their honeymoon in beautiful settings rapidly increased.

The Inn today is a heritage listed building and remains as a proud reminder of our history in the spectacular Yanchep National Park.

After enjoying a great meal at the Inn we went and checked out Loch McNess Lake and hopefully see some of the Kangaroos up close. Then we thought we’d go check out another place from our childhoods.

amanda576 says:
I think you can get a bus from Clarkson Train Station. Check out http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/
Posted on: Nov 21, 2010
stabber911 says:
I never been there! I was in perth for 8 years and I never been here!!
Posted on: May 26, 2008
amanda576 says:
thanks...this is one of my fav parks.
Posted on: May 25, 2008
On the way down to the Crystal Cave
On the way down to the Crystal Cave
getting deeper in the Crystal Cave
getting deeper in the Crystal Cave
this part of the cave used be half…
this part of the cave used be hal…
Yanchep