Kings Park, Perth

Kings Park Travel Blog

What started out to be a rather cloudy day, I was forever thankful the sun decided to come out and shine upon us. Not wanting to spend another weekend doing the housework, shopping and laundry. I decided to be a tourist in my own town and visit some of my favourite places in Perth. Kings Park is such a great place to visit. There is always something happening and the views are spectacular.

Originally named "The Perth Park" in 1895, it was later changed to "Kings Park" to mark the accession of King Edward VII to the British throne and also to mark the visit of some other royals.  Kings Park is 4.06km2 which is actually larger than New York's Central Park which is only 3.

41 km2. Wow!

Kings Park is also home to the West Australian Botanic gardens which showcases 2000 species out of the 12000 species of plants unique to Western Australia. So if you want to see some of Australia's wildflowers then defiantly check this out. Also located at Kings Park are some of our war memorials, where on Anzac Day, the 25th of April our soldiers are honored.

You can also walk amongst the tree tops on the "Lottery West Federation Walkway". The Walkway is 620 metres through the Botanic Garden along a combination of on-ground pathways and a spectacular elevated 52 m glass and steel arched bridge suspended amongst a canopy of tall eucalypts. Excellent views of the Swan and Canning Rivers, learn about our local indigenous culture and the Western Australian flora, and get a feel of our rich history.

One of my favourite restaurants, "Fraser’s" is located in Kings Park, which is famous for their location and their top notch food. You can also pick up some Aboriginal artwork or some arts and crafts for the crew back home. Kings Park is also great to enjoy of all things a picnic. With BBQ's and play areas for the kids, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

Haselager says:
4 of my Dutch best friends are emigrated to Perth in june 2008 so I was very interested in reading Perth stuff on the Trav Buddy. Many thanks for this blog.
Posted on: Dec 28, 2008
amy says:
Wow! I never knew Kings Park was bigger than Central Park! Our park kicks their park's arse!!
Posted on: Oct 07, 2008
amanda576 says:
thanks and your welcome :)
Posted on: Aug 21, 2008