Overland across Africa

Africa Travel Blog

Entebbe store
When you join an overland trip, with perhaps 20 strangers, it's quite likely that you will hate someone at some point, perhaps even the trip itself. Another downside is that you are travelling to the tour operators schedule - so you can't just hang around somewhere if you feel like it. That said, there are likely to be a few chances to jump ship for a while and I made some lifelong friends. Plus you get to see places you probably wouldn't see on your own. You can always go back later - and that's exactly what I did when I went to work in Uganda.
It was a 7 month trip across West and East Africa ending in Zimbabwe. Then a few of us went back to Nairobi with the truck and on to Lamu, Mauritius, Madagascar. A year in total.
More shopping!

What stands out in the memory? Being woken up in the night by horrendous breath and shining my torch directly into the eyes of a hyena; multi coloured butterflies dancing above a pool in a forest glade; a 3 day trip along the Congo in a pirogue and arriving at the burnt out, looted remnants of Kisangani to find a pristine restaurant - complete with state of the art coffee machine; the chivalrous truck driver and soldier in Madagascar who helped us find accommodation; being peed on by a lemur up a tree; plucking a chicken by moonlight with a novice Buddhist monk; white water rafting at Jinja; all of us being arrested near the Nigerian border for some supposed irregularity (tip - a bottle of wine or two with half naked females on the label can work wonders in these situations); a dawn swim on New Years Day at a deserted cove; being introduced as celebrities by a Nairobi nightclub dj called Apollo; throwing up at a Vic Falls campsite after being diagnosed with malaria (good for losing weight though); the first hot bath for months at a Nairobi hotel; a fellow traveller selling us all toilet paper (the hard kind) by the sheet after we ran out; drinking too much, falling head first down the truck steps into a tree and knocking myself out; spending the night in a pygmy village; a fellow passenger, ex foreign legion, who took us to a foreign legion camp for supplies; making bread and butter pudding for 20 under an equatorial sun; fleeing alleged Tuareg bandits in the desert.
.. And much, much more.
Then there was the, frankly difficult girl we took on in Kenya, who didn't mention her operation and who got ill. To be honest, most people thought she was putting it on. We dropped her off at a hospital and came back to pick her up, only to find she had died shortly after we had dropped her off. A big shock and a lesson learnt.
Would I do it again? Probably not. I reckon it's the sort of thing you do just once. Would I take any of it back? No way.
sylviandavid says:
This is a great blog..... i hope you will add details day by day and let us know more as you get more into this site!
Posted on: Mar 16, 2008