Paint Me Down

Bhaktapur Travel Blog

Durbar Square Bhaktapur

Apart from the intial shock of having to pay$10 just to enter the town I soon get a liking for Bhaktapur.  The city is set on a hill and quite compact so it is easy to walk from end to end in less than 30 minutes, plus it seems much tidier and has a generally more relaxed atmosphere than Kathmandu, plus no cars in the old town.  The 3 main squares also, to me, seem more impressive (squares are larger and the temples are taller) than Kathmandu Durbar Square and everything seems generally well maintained (perhaps the entrance fee is going to a good cause after all!).  Bhaktapur is a red town; the temples are build in red brick and the streets are paved in red stone.

I had read that the town is known for pottery and there are a couple of interesting squares with potters at work (one offered me a chance to make a pot but I thought better of it), but it seems to be a town of artists.  I take a look at some of the pictures and they are impressive, but I resist buying until I have a little more feel for the styles, prices and quality.

We find a good room just off the Durbar square and have the best evening meal in a while at a cafe on the edge of the square.  I like walking through the town at night as it is quiet and with the temples floodlit really quite atmospheric.

Durbar Sq