Our House

Naya Pul Travel Blog

The terraces near Jhinu

Khim has offered that tonight I can stay with him and his family in Nayapul, so today will be the final day of our trek. It will be sad to finish as the last 9 days have been so enjoyable, but I am sure I will come back.  It will also be interesting for me to stay with a local family and see how they live.

The path down to Birethanti follows the river through a number of small villages, and is very diferent to other days when we have been walking above the altitude where most people live.  At lunch we meet Linda and Camilla again and for the final time.  Aukje is also there, having decided to return directly to Birethanti instead of via Poon Hill.

View back to Annapurna

Near Birethanti Khim points out the painted campaign slogans for the Maoist party on the walls.  Here in the hills the Maoists have the majority of the local support; it will be interesting to se the results of the CA election in May.

At Khim's house he introduces me to his sisters-in-law and their children.  Khim is the youngest of 3 brothers, his eldest brother works in the Middle East but his middle brother lives here and looks after the family land and their animals.  Khim's mother died about 5 years ago and his father has remarried and has 4 year old daughter with his new wife.

At dinner I sit with Khim's father and eat sag followed by chicken curry (a special treat for their guest) and am treated to local wine.  Khim's father doesn't speak any English but welcomes me warmly.  Afterwards I join Khim and his brother's wife for Dal Bhat.  Their house has electricity but the load shedding today is from 6-9 pm so we eat by candlelight.  Whilst we were in the hills I had forgotton the 8 hour power cuts as the villags either have solar power or hydro.

Khim shows me my bed in the room upstairs.  I do not know where everyone else will sleep but as their guest think it impolite to enquire.

A final view back up the valley