AsiaNepalPokhara

Mr Blue Sky

Pokhara Travel Blog

The view back down the valley from Ulleri

Khim meets me at 8am. The previous evening he had come to see me to confirm that another guide who he knows well and one other trekker can join us for the 1st 3 days.  This suits me fine and we can share a taxi to the start of the walk instead of catching the bus.  The trekker is Pete who lives in Lauceston so we have something in common; the other guide is Kamal who works for a small trekking company in Kathmandu.

The drive to the start of the trek takes about 1 hour and follows the Seti river north-west of Pokhara, over the watershed and down to the next valley. After the climb I am slightly disappointed to find we start from a height of only 1000m about the same as Pokhara.

Khim carries my large pack with his inside and I carry just a small day pack with water and my camera.

Annapurna south from Ulleri
  At Nayapul we stop for a few minutes for Khim to visit his family house and collect some things and then at Birethanti we show our ACAP passes and sign the register.

We walk steadily up the left hand valley from Birethanti, following the river to Tikhedhungga, where we break for 1 hour for lunch.  After the last few days of hazy weather today is fine and clear with strong sun.  We are warned that after lunch there is a steep climb up to Ulleri where we will spend the night.  I check my map and it notes 3240 stone steps, but after one stop for black tea we reach Ulleri at 3pm.  I calculate that we have walked for 4 hours and have climbed 1000m.

Pete and I share a room which has the luxury of an en-suite bathroom with hot shower, which we are advised to take advantage of early; this is much more civilized that I had expected!

We are less than a day from Pokhara but the contrast is staggering; how much better this feels.

Ulleri
  At about 4:30 the sun falls behind the ridge and the cold sets in.  At 5pm they light the wood heater in the dining room which is incredibly warm.

That evening we sit by the heater and eat our dinner and talk to the other guides and guests and I treat myself to a Nepal Ice beer.  There are 2 Koreans heading down from Annapurna and a person from Chile heading up to Poon Hill like us.

The guest house owner reminds me to lock our room and I recall reading about the Nepali sense of ownership being a little different to what I am used to.  The guest house key is on a large wooden key ring in the shape of a fish to stop guest accidentally walking off with the key when they leave.

The view back down the valley from…
The view back down the valley fro…
Pokhara