Into The Valley

Chhomrong Travel Blog

On the way to Sinuwa

The groups leaving at 5am wake me but I soon get back to sleep as we are not leaving today until 8:30.  On the way down to Deurali we pass the young couple from Korea who we know from MBC.  The girl is suffering badly from altitude sickness so they are heading down as quickly as they can.  I have been surprised how many people seem to suffer from AMS (maybe one third), especially those who come direct from Birethanti.  Khim has been clever in taking me via Poon Hill which is high enough to mean that I have acclimitised well.

Just before Deurali we see 2 people on the other side of the river and Khim is concerned they have lost the path; there is a junction in the path a few metre on and we can see where they have turned right instead of left and then spotted an enticing looking bridge across the river.

The view from Sinuwa
  From Deurali to Himalaya Khim asks me to hurry, as it is now after 10am and the sun has been shining on the slope of Huin Chuli above us which can cause avalanches on this part of the path.

We soon are at Dobham for lunch and decide to press on as far as possible today.  Apart from a steep climb of 300 steps just after Bamboo it is pretty much downhill all the way.  Khim prefers Sinuwa as a place to stay and it seem to me a much better place that Bamboo as it set high on the valley side rather than down in the valley floor; it will also make for a gentle day tomorrow as we plan to stay at Jhinu tomorrow and go to the hot springs.

We reach Sinuwa by 2:30 in time for a cup of tea before the clouds roll in.  The weather has been very consistent for the last few days, clear until about 2 or 3pm.  The guest house at Sinuwa has a good hot shower and I can relax before dinner.  The daughter of the guest house  owner is a  film star in Nepali movies and is famous in this area.  A german couple are staying with their guide and porter and just before dinner the 2 Chinese girls (Linda and Camilla) arrive, tired but very happy that they have reached ABC today.

The summit of Machhapuchhre