AsiaNepalPokhara

In The Country

Pokhara Travel Blog

The Pokhara Lakes

Today I try to explore the other 2 lakes at Pokhara.  To reach these I need to take a local bus to Begnas Bazaar which turns out to be easier that I had expected, though the 15Km trip takes 45 minutes.

Begnas is a small town, a popular spot for Nepalese, there are hire boats on the lake, but appears to be pretty much ignored by foreigners.  I hike up the road from Begnas hoping for a reasonably view of the lakes and hills, but as usual the weather is hazy.  When it is clear I can certainly believe that the view from here is fantastic but today the beauty is in the terraces and small villages that line the road.  At the top of the pass I find a small guest house and the lady owner takes me to the roof of her house so I can see the view to the lakes below.

Terraces near Pokhara
  She tells me that they have lots of visitors here as this is on the Skyline Trek.

This is our last day in Pokhara.  Julie has given up on waiting for a clear day and we have decided it is time to head to Chitwan.  Local politicians have called a strike in the Terai area (the southern plain that neighbours India) and there have been some disturbances in the towns there.  For the last few days I have been checking the locations of the reported problems on my map to see whether the area near Chitwan is affected and it looks as if there should be no problem with travel to Chitwan, though the Indian border is probably closed to tourists.  The only other concern was whether the fuel shortage would stop the buses, but it all seems OK and we have a booked ticket leaving tomorrow morning.

In some ways I will be sad to move on as have enjoyed the time in Lakeside, but we have been here for 3 weeks and that is enough.  At dinner we sit next to a large group of German trekkers who look to have just arrived and are preparing for their trek and it reminds me that it is time to see some new places in Nepal.

The view near Begnas