AsiaNepalPokhara

Bat Out Of Hell

Pokhara Travel Blog

Binde Basini Temple Pokhara

While Julie is still flying at Pokhara I have a few days to explore the area. Today I try for either the other 2 lakes or the Mahendra cave (cave is Gufa in Nepalese).  I walk/catch a local bus up to the local bus park and find that IU am at the wrong bus park to catch a bus out to Begnas so opt for the town and the caves.

Pokhara is not considered to have many sights but the Binde Basini temple is worth a look.  Today is "Democracy Day" in Nepal so schools are closed and there a few guides hanging around hoping to extract some business, but there are very few tourists making the effort to see the temple.  2 local guys latch on to me and give me some reasonably interesting background on the 7 different temples that make up the complex.

Bats in the Bat Cave
  Slightly bloodthirsty but most interesting is the place behind the temple where they make sacrifices.  Before the sacrifice they dip the head of the animal in water ; if it moves it is OK to sacrifice (as it is giving its consent!) but if it remains still the sacrifice is not permitted.

I start to walk to the Mahendra cave not quite sure how far it is and stop at the Gurka museum (entry 100R), which has some interesting displays about the history of the Gurka regiments.  As it looks like it might rain soon I catch a bus up to the cave to save time.  The Mahendra cave is little more than a tunnel 100m long but on the advise of a local I walk back to the Bat cave.  Entrance is 10R and hire of a light 20R, which is needed if you want to see anything.  The cave is dry at the moment but during the monsoon a river fills the bottom.  As the name suggests there are plenty of bats clinging to the roof of the cave and it is well worth the slightly muddy and awkward scramble in and out.  This explains the mixed views I had read about the caves;  obviously some have been to the Mahendra cave and other to the Bat cave.

As I am in need of some exercise and the threatening weather appears to have abated I walk all the way back to Lakeside through Pokhara old town and it takes me 2 hours.

Pokhara