Beyond the Travel Photos

World Travel Blog

“Guitar and the Crescent”

Traveling for me has been not only a linear physical motion that enables me to see new places, eat new dishes, or interact in a new language, but also a vehicle to discover new events or ideas to be translated into the canvas. I love to paint, whenever I have the time. My paintings are normally a product of my interpretation of what affected my travels. I did not start using the oil paint until after my first major trip to Australia, which actually contributed to my  interest in documenting my travel impressions in the mix of color.

I do not follow a specific stroke. I have always thought I never need one. It is only a hobby ☺. I just like painting since I was a little kid. Here are some of my paintings from my last three trips: Borneo, the South, and Hawai’i.
“After the Fire”
I have donated my paintings to the student organization and local artist community to be auctioned with other people’s works to raise funds for poverty, education, and AIDS charity foundations. All I have in my hard drive is their electronic images. But I love that they are gone for a good cause.

- Impressions of Borneo -
When I first visited Borneo I was stunned by its lush beauty. I have traveled to the rain forests, learned about the endangered flora and fauna, and admired its marine life. The first painting is called “Guitar and the Crescent.” The contrast of dark blue and brown background depicts the pure sight nature in a Borneo evening. The guitar is crooked and positioned on the lower corner to represent man, while the crescent is in stark yellow and positioned diagonally to represent nature.
“Waterfall”
It did not take long to finish the painting. I thought it was just as natural as it was easy to transfer on the canvas.

The second painting is called “After the Fire.” I was saddened by the result of human greed and irresponsibility that affected Borneo rainforests. I noticed that a large part of the so-called endangered forests were cut, burned, and cultivated illegally. I had a hard time trying to paint an image of a tree-felled forest -- it felt like I would be painting a corpse. So I did not proceed. What I decided to make instead was this painting that came from a sight of a group of trees that had just burned by a brush fire. The trees were still standing, but the green had gone.

The next seven paintings I did have many things to do with water.
“Fishermen Boats”
The third painting, appropriately named “Waterfall,” is dominated by green and blue to retain the great sight of a waterfall. Then, “Fishermen Boats” represents the life in a fishermen village. The wooden boats were traditional hand made boats. Next, “the Wave” captures the great power of the sea, while “Nature” is my imagination of an off-shore waterspout as told by a local. “The Coral,” “The Bridge,” and “Pendopo (the hut)” were an experiment with mixed media using oil and acrylic. Finally, after playing around with landscape I just had to try to do people. So, “The Old Man” and “Baby” were made as an observation of a local farmer and a cute expatriate toddler, consecutively.

So, those are my memories of the beautiful Borneo, a place where I always wanted to go back to visit.

- The Liveliness and Color of the South -
I have had a great experience living in the South. I left home to go to school in Alabama, and during the course of my education I loved to explore the Southern region of the United States. The next nine paintings reflect my love of mixing color and, I think, some maturity of my painting and myself. “Dimension” was made when I was relearning the rules and tradition of the superstructure called education ☺. “Blurry Vision” is one of my favorite pieces. The indefinite combination of natural colors represents my frustration of the double-standardness of human behavior. “Purple” is a close look (literally) at a purple flower. “Note” was made when I found Soundgarden’s Fell on Black Days inspirational.
“Nature”
“Black Girl” represents beauty, strength, and courage. “Broken Guitar” is one the pieces I can never remember I made them in the first place. But I like it! ☺ “Magnolia” and “The Trunk of Cherry Blossom” portray the beautiful spring season in the South.

- Paradise on Earth -
Hawai’i is the place I would visit over and over again. The smell of air is different. The feel is different. I have more great memories of Hawai’i. “The Orchids” reflects the tropic’s great resource of flowers. “The Rocking Chair on the Beach” is another of my favorite pieces. I am glad to see how it turned out. This is how I know if my painting is going to come out satisfactorily. It is when I have no problem finishing it in a couple of hours.

While I enjoy transferring travel images on to my canvas, I learn that the activity itself reflects how I respond to the world’s differences and commonalities. I can say I grow up with my paintings. Now, even though they are not in my possession and may be hanging on someone else’s wall, I am happy to know that in the process they have taught me about life and were sold for a good cause.

** Thanks for reading my blog. I hope you enjoyed it.☺

westwind57 says:
I just posted about your eye for color and detail in the photo's, now I understand... I like this blog
Posted on: Jan 29, 2012
globalodyssey says:
wonderful paintings and a great story
thanks
Posted on: May 14, 2009
Ferreira says:
Your paintings are lovely!
and a nice blog too :-)
“Broken Guitar”
“Broken Guitar”
“Magnolia”
“Magnolia”
“The Trunk of Cherry Blossom”
“The Trunk of Cherry Blossom”
“The Orchids”
“The Orchids”
“The Rocking Chair on the Beach…
“The Rocking Chair on the Beach…