Back to Lisbon

Lisbon Travel Blog

Parque Eduardo VII

On our way back to Lisbon, we saw the town of Estoril and the district of Belem.  Belem is the home of the stunning Jeronimos Monastery and the Monument to the Discoveries.  When we arrived back in Lisbon, we were free to roam on our own for the rest of the day.  I took this opportunity to explore Parque Eduardo VII, which was right next to our hotel.  This park is one long inclined plane.  A walk to the top will afford you a great view of right down Avenida de Liberdade toward the Baixa district.  The park has a few ponds, hedge mazes, and a lot of sloping green hills.

After snapping some shots in the park, I walked all the way down Avenida de Liberdade to Baixa and eventually to the Tagus River.  Not only are the streets of Lisbon quite hilly, but they are also covered in cobblestones.  The dress shoes I was wearing were not cut out for this kind of terrain.  By the time I got to the river, my feet were killing me.  It turned out that the gel in the soles had burst and was making my socks stick.  It was a long, painful walk back to the hotel.  I had to throw away my shoes and socks when I got back.  Luckily my boss agreed to eat dinner at a place across the street from the hotel because I was not about to walk another step.  We ate at a cervejaria called Mesqueria.  It felt good to sit!

Marques de Pombal
Elevador de Santa Justa
Praca do Comercio
Praca do Comercio
Lisbon Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Mesqueria is a small cervejaria (casual restaurant serving beer) specializing in seafood. It was very crowded when we there and a soccer game was pla… read entire review
Lisbon