Day 2 Nauticus Museum and the Wisconsin Battleship

Norfolk Travel Blog

Nauticus Museum in Norfolk, Virginia
After the morning routine and a cup of coffee we started packing and loaded the car back up. After finding the Nauticus in the GPS we were on our way back to Norfolk. We found a parking garage right around the corner from there and made our way over to the Wisconsin. My friend had been here before so she knew a bunch of things about it. We walked around it once, took some pictures and then decided on weather we should go inside or just leave and get back on the road. We did go onto the ship which was free. We skipped the museum part because you had to pay and we were still a little concerned about spending too much money.
We had to wait a few minutes until they opened. So we figured out that one of the levels of the museum was free after all and explored that a little bit.
The Wisconsin again

The ship itself was very impressive and the volunteer veterans were very nice and answered any questions that we had. We were told that the black covering underneath the canons were called bloomers. Which I'll never forget again, cause it's a funny name and the veteran obviously thought it was going to be interesting for two young girls like us. lol He then wanted me to lift the anchor chain, which was of course impossible.
We made our way around the ship's deck. The weather could have not been better. It was 80 degrees and sunny. Only the wind was a little annoying. We almost got knocked over a couple of times and it was hard to hear at times. Plus we got a sunburn from standing there and talking to the veterans for so long. I was very impressed and I think my friend was glad that I enjoyed this part of the trip.
different angle
She loves these kind of things and I think she was worried that I was going to call her crazy. hahaha
We bought a few little souvenirs, mainly postcards and then went back to the car.
After 4  hours of driving and a quick stop at Arby's we finally got to our next goal. Fayetteville, NC.
We were staying with an Army friend of mine who I met while she was stationed in my home town in Germany. I hadn't seen her in over 3 years and it was nice to see her again. Beautiful house and a comfy bed. Much better then the night before at the Motel 8.
Bedtime was early again. At least for me, but I had no problem sleeping.
AtlantaBelle says:
I agree, great pictures!

Posted on: Dec 03, 2008
hummingbird50 says:
Thanks for sharing. I love your photos. :)
Posted on: Feb 27, 2008
missandrea81 says:
Oh, I will!! Thanks!
Posted on: Feb 22, 2008
Nauticus Museum in Norfolk, Virgin…
Nauticus Museum in Norfolk, Virgi…
Some info
View from the battleship
Cute little Asian tower
Cute little Asian tower
Norfolk Sights & Attractions review
This is a free thing to do in the Norfolk area. I enjoyed it a lot even though my first thought was, looking at a ship?? Really?? It turned out to be … read entire review
Norfolk