I LOVE MEXICO CITY

Los Angeles Travel Blog

My favorite picture from this trip
I really enjoyed my weekend in Mexico City - more than I thought would ever be possible. I've seen enough of the world to fall in love with various bits and pieces of it, whilst ignoring most inconveniences that would inevitably make an extended stay less than ideal. For example, I love Tanzania, but how happy would I be living there with the inevitable malarial bite? I love Geneva, but am I really able to live on a ration of 20 liters of garbage per week (I think you get a fine for anything more than that) or be able to stand a ban on air conditioning?

But Mexico City.. my god it was wonderful. All the conveniences of the US, an amazingly hospitable city, all the warmth and love and kindness from a socialized society.
courtyard to Museo Dolores Olmeda
It is the best of all worlds, I think. I am considering looking into graduate programs here because I think I could learn a lot and do some good. Somewhere in my dreamy head I see myself whispering in the ear of various ministers, advising them of trade negotiations that would benefit Mexico and how to facilitate businesses investments that could help Mexico's economy without turning it into the horrible maquiladores situation along the US/Mexico border. I would create a strong language study program like Japan and China have, inviting young teachers into this wonderful culture. I would invite archeological experts to study and publish their findings on the ruins that are found every day, on every corner in Mexico City. I would plant 100 trees a day in the city to combat the air pollution and intense heat.
little girl clambering around her dad's truck

Ok enough of that.. I love Mexico =) And here's why:

1. The people are some of the friendliest, coolest and most charming and helpful I have met in the world.
2. The dollar goes very far here.
3. We use the same electrical outlets so I don't end up blowing up all my appliances like I do in Europe. (very expensive after a while..)
4. The public transportation is GREAT and CHEAP - use it as frequently as possible
5. Although locals are nice to EVERYONE, they're particularly nice to Americans. I had older men offer me seats on the subway and children crowd close by to hear us talk =)
6. There are surprises around every corner, from good restaurants to ruins inside subways, to political paintings on display. If any country truly has freedom of speech, it is Mexico.
a street in Chapultepec

7. People are so proud of their country and can list 10 amazing things to see and places to go off the top of their head. And they love to share their extensive knowledge of their enormous country/city!
8. Did I mention how nice everyone is??

I really think Mexico has taken the best elements of their European and American influence and created a rather lovely society. I was surprised to see how incredibly industrious everyone in D.F. was. The government no doubt spends quite a bit of money on employment. There were police and guards everywhere you went (quite nice and helpful by the way). Young kids are working, older people are working, those who can't find jobs set up little market stands, cook tacos on the street, sell trinkets on the subway, learn a craft to sell in the pyramids or offer to be tour guides.
In Zocalo plaza
Everyone is working wherever you look - not a single idle person! So they have the industriousness of Americans (sadly I didn't quite see many people just sipping on coffee in cafes like they do in Europe), while still providing healthcare, maintaining this huge city to impeccable standards and doing their part to recycle and and be as green as possible.

I really couldn't tell you must about the economy or opportunities here, and I know the minimum wage is very low (they count it by month, but I believe it comes out to something like $5 USD a day) but I love Mexico from the bottom of my heart and I can't wait to go back!!!
vulindlela says:
What a great blog!
It really is a world class city.
Posted on: Feb 22, 2008
AndiPerullo says:
Beautifully written my love! I'm so sad that I didn't get to experience this amazing city with you. Fingers crossed in the future...or if you move there, I'll promise to come and visit all the time. Haha!
Posted on: Feb 21, 2008
sybil says:
yo tambien! and don't forget that diego rivera's work is scattered all over the city (although we did not get to see all of them).
Posted on: Feb 21, 2008
courtyard to Museo Dolores Olmeda
little girl clambering around her …
little girl clambering around her…