I LOVE MEXICO CITY
Los Angeles Travel Blog› entry 6 of 7 › view all entries
February 19th, 2008 – by: jenn79
But Mexico City.. my god it was wonderful. All the conveniences of the US, an amazingly hospitable city, all the warmth and love and kindness from a socialized society.
Ok enough of that.. I love Mexico =) And here's why:
1. The people are some of the friendliest, coolest and most charming and helpful I have met in the world.
2. The dollar goes very far here.
3. We use the same electrical outlets so I don't end up blowing up all my appliances like I do in Europe. (very expensive after a while..)
4. The public transportation is GREAT and CHEAP - use it as frequently as possible
5. Although locals are nice to EVERYONE, they're particularly nice to Americans. I had older men offer me seats on the subway and children crowd close by to hear us talk =)
6. There are surprises around every corner, from good restaurants to ruins inside subways, to political paintings on display. If any country truly has freedom of speech, it is Mexico.
7. People are so proud of their country and can list 10 amazing things to see and places to go off the top of their head. And they love to share their extensive knowledge of their enormous country/city!
8. Did I mention how nice everyone is??
I really think Mexico has taken the best elements of their European and American influence and created a rather lovely society. I was surprised to see how incredibly industrious everyone in D.F. was. The government no doubt spends quite a bit of money on employment. There were police and guards everywhere you went (quite nice and helpful by the way). Young kids are working, older people are working, those who can't find jobs set up little market stands, cook tacos on the street, sell trinkets on the subway, learn a craft to sell in the pyramids or offer to be tour guides.
I really couldn't tell you must about the economy or opportunities here, and I know the minimum wage is very low (they count it by month, but I believe it comes out to something like $5 USD a day) but I love Mexico from the bottom of my heart and I can't wait to go back!!!
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!