Peru Trip Report: In the beggining, 1st installment of 4

Peru Travel Blog

Mom in Parque de Amor
Greetings from Peru! I'm writing this from the airport in Lima on our way to cusco where I'm afraid we will be seriously deprived of something I've learned to love in life...oxygen.

We got into lima at about midnight 2 days ago and checked into our shoebox of a hotel. Cozy doesn't begin to describe it! The whole hotel smells like roses. Remember the outkast song "roses really smell like doodoo"? Well they really do do. The location of the hotel is great and the people couldn't be nicer. We pretty much went right to bed. Well, after we figured out a way to leave the window open but still keep the mosquitos out. We woke up at about 10 the next the morning and walked for about 10 minutes until we found a restaurant where mom got a brain freeze after just one sip of her frozen lemonade and I had a cup of coffee.
In love? With Peru!

From there we walked to Parque Miraflores which is supposedly normally filled with shoe shine boys, ice cream men on bikes, open air markets, etc. While we didn't see any of that it was a very pretty park. Then we walked for about 30 minutes to the ocean to a beautiful boardwalk that overlooked some cliffs. There were all kinds of shops and American fast food restaurants...what a shame! We walked along the boardwalk to a great little park called Parque de Amor (park of love). If anyone has ever seen Park Guell by Gaudi  in Barcelona you have a good idea what this looked like.  The mosaic benches were all frases and declarations of love from real couples in lima and there was a HUGE statue in the middle of a couple in a pretty provocative position. Very cool...defanitely a highlight.

Then we walked to a little lighthouse on the malecon that was constructed in 1900 and still is in use today.
Lighthouse just off the shore
From there we walked (maybe the longest walk ever...my fault...I'm horrible with directions and didn't bring TomTom) to Huaca Pullcana which is a pre Incan temple in the middle of a residential neighborhood. The temple dates back to at least the 4th century, hundreds of years before the Incas. It was really interesting as they showed us how they made human sacrifices. Well, they showed us pictures....

People say there isn't much to see in ima and that its kind of a dirt whole but so far I love it! Its south America! What should you expect?

Well the plane is about to take off so ill be sure to send another update soon. Were going to Cusco and then to machu pichu and lake titicaca, the highest navitagable lake in the world. I'm really hoping Ill be able to breath. Nothing some coco leaves can't cure!

In love?  With Peru!