Cruise to Santorini

Santorini Travel Blog

Paros stopover

After a 3 hour nap, I got up and checked out of my hotel room and waited for the taxi to take us to the port at Pireaus to catch our ferry to Santorini.  We left the hotel at 6:30am -- and our ferry was to depart at 7:25am.  It's four of us at this point -- Scottie, Paul, me and Phil.  Phil is one of Paul's co-workers from the convention.  He's a audio visual guy for the convention and is also from Austin.  I had met him briefly at the hotel earlier in the week, but had not really spent any time with him.

Our cruise was on the Blue Star ferry named the "Naxos."  It's a 7 hour cruise, with stops at three other islands before we get to Santorini (Paros, Naxos, and Ios are first).

Disembarking the Ferry
  I learned that Santorini is a latin misnomer for Saint Irene!

As we were departing, I noticed that Scottie was talking very very loudly -- almost shouting.  I had had very little sleep and no coffee, so did not appreciate the loud quality of his voice that morning.  I told him he did not have to yell, that I was not deaf.  And he smiled and said that he did have to talk loud, cause Phil was partly deaf!  I was mortified!  Thankfully Phil smiled and made a joke out of it, but did tell me that he was deaf in one ear and had diminished hearing in the other.  What a way to learn about that!!

The trip was actually a lot of fun.  We played cards, ate, drank beer, napped, read and took photos along the way.  The sea was pretty calm, very blue and quite lovely.

Our driver's daughter
  The islands are very arid, but starkly beautiful wiht their white stucco buildings and blue roofs and trim.

We arrived at Santorini around 3:30 that afternoon, got our bags and caught a taxi up the hill to Fira, the town we are going to stay in on the island.  Our taxi driver had his daughter with him in the van -- and she was a really beautiful girl.  I asked permission to take her photo and he said I could.

We stayed at a place called "Dana Villas" -- really beautiful villas on a cliff overlooking the caldera (this is a volcanic island, and a portion of the center of the old volcano, the caldera, had fallen away into the sea).  I had a great room -- a king sized bed, huge jacuzzi tub and a private patio.

Scottie looking Gangsta at Murphy's Irish Pub
  I only wish I could have been here when it was warm!

We walked into town, being quite curious to see what it was all about.  It was chilly and drizzling, but not unpleasant.  I bought a set of Greek worry beads that are made of volcanic glass from Santorini and a pair of art glass sailboats also of volcanic glass.  They are quite beautiful.  We found an Irish Pub called Murphy's and thought it would be a perfect place for a beer.  Unfortunately, we are here in the down season, so not a lot of things were open -- including Murphy's Pub.  We had to get a picture of Scottie standing in front of it anyway, since his last name is Murphy.  He was trying to look all gangsta -- it was pretty funny.

We found a pizza restaurant called Tabasco's and went into have a Mythos beer and to escape the rain.  We ended up staying for dinner -- the pizza was quite good.  At the end of the meal, our waiter's sister made us crepes with nutella and sent them over on the house!   It was a nice first meal in Santorini.

Our drivers daughter
Our driver's daughter
Scottie looking Gangsta at Murphy…
Scottie looking Gangsta at Murphy…
Aboard the Ferry Naxos