What Glacier?

Ushuaia Travel Blog

my skis have sunk

Today we slung on the boots and packs and walked from Ush into the mountains behind the city. We climbed up through gorgeous alpine forests until we reached the snow. Great views over Ush and the Beagle Channel. From here we continued up onto the snowy moutain to view a glacier, which we never really found. It was more like a mountain with lots of snow on it. Maybe we were spoilt by the sight of the Perito Moreno Glacier near Calafate. The views and walking on the soft snow were well worth the effort though and we really enjoyed our trekking day. A little concerned by the sign that said "Peligro: Avalanche" but never mind. Stopped for a much-needed hot chocolate to warm our frozen bones and red noses.

Back in Ush, we rewarded our energetic hiking efforts with a tenedor libre - eat all you can. Horah. For 15 pesos (about 2 quid fifty) we could help ourselves to salad bar, hot food like variety of potatoes, rice etc, seafood such as mussels and calamari, and then to Simon's delight, a parilla - Argentine bbq of beef steaks, lamb and sausages. This is the norm in Argentina, Parillas on every corner and the Argentine general way of eating ie an entire cow over some hot coals. This overeating of meat and the rest was followed by postres (desserts!) ice creams, caramel flans, cakes etc etc. And bowls of whipped cream. Yum.

Needless to say we went home with tired legs and ridiculously full tummys.

give me my hat back