Onetahuti to Awaroa to Totaranui

Totaranui Travel Blog

 › entry 224 of 424 › view all entries

After packing up the tent, we began the walk along the coastline towards Awaroa. We walked along the beack of Onetahuti until we reached the path taking us into the trees. the only problem was the tide was in and there was a lot of water in between us and our path. There were a few people waiting to cross on the other side of the water and a group did cross with their backpacks on their heads and the water reaching mid-chest. We decided to wait until the tide went out a bit. The sun was beating down and as we were just thinking of taking off our shoes and giving the crossing a go, a bloke came up in his boat and offered us a lift across!! so in we climbed and kept dry!

The path now climbed up and away into the trees away from the sea and stayed like this until we reached Awaroa where we found a rather plush lodge by the sea.

We were just too tempted by food and ended up using the excuse of a birthday to stop here for lunch and a cold beer. Full and satisfied by wonderful food and beer, we left a few hours later to continue along the path and on past the Awaroa campsite. Here we came across our next tidal crossing problem as the tide was still in. The water was not too deep and we did attempt to cross but the current was very strong and the shells very sharp on bare feet. We left it a while and then gave it another go further up and managed to cross eventually. The water came up to mid-thigh and the current was strong but we made it across and got eaten alive by sandflies as we put our boots back on.

The rest of the path wound along the coastline for a few more hours until we came out at a viewpoint overlooking Totaranui beach. From here we walked back down to the beach and back to the car park to our oven roasted car. We camped at Totaranui that night and enjoyed another warm and peaceful night.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: kevt76