Mud bathing in a volcano!!

La Boquilla Travel Blog

Now this was fun!!

Got a bus out to this little volcano on the lakeside. The volcano looked like a giant ant hill.

Climbed up the steep steps with the aid (or hinderance) of a rather wobbly and unstable rail. Once at the top, clambered into the big bath of warm volcanic mud!

It was a very stange feeling getting into the mud as it is so dense and heavy that it is hard to push your weight down into the mud. Simon pushed me at one point when I was submerged and I kind of fell forward and my feet popped out of the mud behind me. Then I was a bit stuck!

It was all good fun coating each other in the stuff, all very theraputic mud stuff for the skin, or so we were told. I think it just gave us blackheads.

It was very strange to think there was nothing below our feet but more mud going down into the ground around 2000 ft apparently.

We were hoping there wasn`t some kind of mud monster lurking down there somewhere.

After managing to haul ourselves out of the mud (not a very elegant procedure) we went down to the rather convenient lake to wash all the mud off.

A fun and very different experience!!

La Boquilla