Lovely view, dive bomb hostel

Deloraine Travel Blog

We drove all the way to Deloraine in order to be close to Cradle Mountain. We went via Launceston and I must say this place had a pretty dodgy feel to it, unless it was just the supermarket we went to. I have never feared for my life walking round Coles but I did today, there were some right weirdos in there....

The hostel we ended up in at Deloraine was an absolute dive of a place and one of the coldest places we have stayed in. We sat hugging hot water bottles while eating dinner. The place hadn't had any updating, decorating or cleaning for a least 50 years and the bloke who 'welcomed' us was the most grumpy unfriendly guy we came across in Australia so far! However the view across the valley that evening was very beautiful and very New Zealand (said that a lot in Tassie) Needless to say we slept in our clothes and sleeping bags (no way was I putting my skin against anything in that hostel) and got outta there early the next day. Sadly our plans to visit Cradle Mountain were ruined due to the weather. Heavy rain in the area and strong winds were a bit off putting so we decided to head south again, hitting the road and heading back towards Hobart. We decided to continue towards Port Arthur and found a great place to stay (if a little over budget but hey it was clean) at Dunally.

photo by: siri