Inti Wara Yassi / Parque Ambue Ari

Guarayos Travel Blog

pissed

So off we went for 2 and a half weeks to an animal rescue centre in the middle of the Bolivian jungle, not really knowing what to expect. It was simply amazing. We wish so much that we had a month or 2 to spare so we could have stayed longer. The place is addictive.

Simon looked after a crazy monkey called Talia who looks a lot like Tina Turner in the 80`s. In the past she has shown a dislike for some females (of the human kind) and proved this point by attacking me and biting me 3 times (once on the arse, I have the teeth mark scars to prove it). I looked after the `house` animals which included the bird house of toucans, parrots, macaws etc, a deer called Bambi (obviously), 2 howler monkeys called Coco and Faustino, some crazy Chancho pigs and some peos (big ugly birds similar to emus).

Herbie
We also got to walk some of the cats, which was just amazing. Simon walked with Rupi, a 120kg jaguar. I walked with Katie, another beautiful jaguar, and together we walked the 3 puma sisters Inti, Wara and Yassi. I also walked with Vanesso the ocelot and we said hello to Lazy cat, another ocelot.

We met some fantastic people at the park and together we had a few crazy nights out in Santa Maria, a tiny little village 8km from the jungle park. We generally took over a bar in town a few nights a week and had a flip cup competition (can anyone remember which team actually won?). The ride home at 2am consisted of hitching a lift and piling onto the back of a truck. Evenings in the comedor with our veggie soup (potato fishing and all) we learnt some new card games and then there is always werewolf....

The park is a great place to go to and spend some of your travel time. There is no electricity or hot water and it is hard, hot and sweaty work but it didn`t matter as it was so rewarding to work with abused or injured animals. Work starts at 7am (not a lot of fun after a 2am finish of drinking a lot of cheap rum the night before) and it is a long day but it was one of the best things we have done on this trip. If only we had another month to spare!!!

We can`t wait to back!!!!!

flip-cup comes to Santa Maria