Back to chaos

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

To avoid the annoying staff at OK guesthouse, we decided to try out the Sunday Guesthouse in a different area of town. The hostel was nice and the staff super but the location isn't great. We were however, close to the Olympic Stadium and managed to rise early for a jog around the running track. There were quite a few others there. I left my inhaler with our water bottle at the side of the track and when I had finished running, my inhaler was gone. A gardener bloke was watching me break out in panic and I tried with hand shapes to ask him where my inhaler was, he just laughed and shook his head. Simon (who did an extra lap than me) found me in a panicky heap on the floor and was a bit more of an intimidating figure going right up to the gardener, who proceeded to get my inhaler out of his pocket and hand it to Simon.

The moral of this story: don't leave anything lying about, even if it is a piece of plastic!

We spent the afternoon at the Royal Palace, looking around the magnificent buildings in the Royal grounds. The silver pagoda is so named as its floor is covered in silver tiles, weighing 1kg each. It was quite pricey to get in (25,000 kip - about $6 so a bit more than the $2 quoted but the Lonely Planet) but it was impressive. It was sooo hot that afternoon though, might be better going in the morning.

We also visited the Russian market. This place is a maze of alleys selling all manner of clothes, watches, bags, CDs, DVDs, scarves etc etc. Haggle hard and you will get a bargain! 2 scarves for $3 things like that. We also bought a batch of CDs as our music collection is several years out of date. We got a really good deal on these, paying just over a dollar for each. Just hope they work.

Phnom Penh