Abseiling down waterfalls!!

Sarapiqui Travel Blog

My feet are wet

Today we gave canyoning a go, what the heck we might as well break some bones in a fun sort of way. After being told by the owner that canyoning is 'very scary', a few from our group backed out and in the end it was just 4 of us - Mitch, Dad, Simon and I .

After a very nice lunch (we ate it wondering if it would be our last meal) we took a jeep across a very bumpy rough track into the jungly bit near La Fortuna. Once geared up with our not-very-flattering harnesses, helmets and jackets, we walked into the jungle towards the sounds of water falling from a great height...

The first canyon that we had to abseil down was the highest - 165ft and a sheer drop down. From the top it looks unbelievably high and very scary. Once the ropes were hooked onto the harness (tried not to think of thinning ropes, the harness coming undone etc etc), I leant backwards over the rock wall and let the harness take my body weight then it was down to me to let the rope out gradually and off I abseiled down the wall!! It was fantastic!!!! Very scary but brilliant!

The next canyon was a bit different as we had to drop about 30ft over a gap between the platform and the rock wall then abseil through a waterfall! Yeah!! The 3rd wall was a very high dry canyon wall that allowed us to get some 'bounce' going! You could really push off this one and get some distance between you and the wall!!

The 4th and 5th canyons were both through waterfalls and were quite narrow so we had to judge it quite well.

Couldn't see where we were putting our feet because of the water rushing down but it was exhilirating, and very cold!!!

After a 20 min walk back to the jeep, we were all grinning like idiots and loved the new adventure experience! Bring on the next canyoning adventure!!

My feet are wet
Dad on his way down the dry canyon…
Dad on his way down the dry canyo…
Simon has a bath