Day 5 in London

London Travel Blog

Day 5 was the first day that I was on my own, as both girls had gone to work. I took full advantage of having a day off. Jet lag was really catching up to me, so I slept in. It seemed that I was only able to sleep every second night, so that morning I slept a long time. I had promised my family that I would send postcards to them, so the first thing I did after showering was to get those postcards written. I had been picking up postcards on the previous days we had been in the city. Once done, I phoned my cousin Irina. Before I left Canada, I had gotten in touch with her via email to tell her I’d be coming to London. At that time, she had been living in London for a year or two, and was getting ready to move back to Australia. Anyhow, we made plans to go for dinner the following night. With that out of the way, it was time to venture out. First stop: somewhere to get stamps to get the postcards on their way. Then it was time to explore. Where did I end up? ASDA, which is their version of Wal-Mart. I actually ended up spending quite a bit of time in the store. Before I realized it, it was 4:15, so I made my way back to Sher and Heat’s place. They had all just gotten home, so we made dinner, cleaned up, then went to Safeway to get snacks. The best part was taking a Harry Potter bus home. A double-decker one that was an absolute adventure. We had a crazy driver, that drove really fast, and served in and out of traffic. Yikes! We had gone to Safeway for snacks because we had rented a movie. We all felt like staying in and taking it easy that night. Once the movie was over, we went to bed. It was a nice, relaxing day which was especially nice, seeing as I had been so busy for the past couple of days.

To note:

I had noted earlier on in my visit that there were no SUVs in London. Well, when reading my travel journal, I wrote on this day that I actually saw one pass me on my way to ASDA.

I also noted on this day that it was always windy in London.

Also. I wrote in my journal that I didn’t like the fact that all the cashiers that work in ASDA or in grocery store sit down when they are working. In Canada, you never see a store clerk or cashier sitting down when they’re ringing through you’re purchases. It’s a little odd.

One more note, and this was true of the whole time I was in London- the people that work around here, like in grocery stores, etc., were really rude. None of them would really talk to me, they didn’t smile, they didn’t say “Have a nice day”, etc., and, they didn’t bad the goods I bought. I had to do it all myself.

London General Tips & Advice review
It’s exactly like Wal-Mart! And I love Wal-Mart. You can find almost anything here for really reasonable prices. So great.
photo by: ulysses