Day 1 in London

London Travel Blog

A cricket game in progress

From Heathrow, we took the tube to their house. The closest stop to their place was North Acton, so we just sat back on our seats and chatted, although I was pretty busy looking out the windows. The girls had picked up an Oyster Card for me, which is good for transportation on buses and the tube, so I didn’t have to stand in any lines for tube tickets. Once we got to their place, I dropped of my luggage, and we were out the door again. It was time to be introduced to London.

The first thing we encountered was a cricket game, in progress, at a park by their flat.  I learned it's not uncommon to find one being played on the weekend in many of the local parks.  I suppose it's not unlike a hockey game being played on the weekend back home in Canada.

Telephone booth

We got on the tube and went to Ealing/Broadway tube stop, where we got off so Sher and Heat could do some banking. We also got lunch at Subway. We sat in the window, and were able to watch the mounds of people go by. I couldn’t get over how incredibly busy everything was. Everyone was in such a hurry, and for someone coming from a small town like Vernon, it’s hard to understand why people just put their head down and go. I like to look at everything as I go, but in London, it’s not really smart to just stop, or to really take your time. You have to keep up with the pace.

After doing our stuff in Acton, including a stop at Argos, we got back on the tube, and headed to Piccadilly Circus. I found the tube to be a bit confusing and overwhelming, but the girls said I’d get the hang of it. We looked around, then went to Oxford Circus and Trafalgar Square.

At Protobello Road Market
I was so happy to see other people with cameras hanging around their necks and gawking at everything around them. I wasn’t the only tourist hanging around! While at Trafalgar Square, we got to see a big stage and screen being set up. We found out that the next night there was going to be a big concert there. Seeing as we had no tickets for it, we agreed that we would come down, and try and see something from across the road.

We then headed to Leicester Square and ate dinner in a little café. I don’t ever remember what it was called, as the service was so poor, though the food wasn’t all that bad. I can’t even fathom treating customers the way that our waitress treated us. She was absolutely one of the rudest people I’ve ever encountered.

Taxi!

We left there for Oxford Street, then Regent Street. Once again, I couldn’t help noticing how fast paced everything was - people and vehicles. We stopped at Portobello Road Market in Notting Hill, where we looked at all the little kiosks. Then, we met a couple of Bobbies. I have to say, I do love their hats.

Once done, we headed for Covent Garden. Here, we saw some street entertainment. And how entertaining it was! It was a solo performance by a man on a unicycle, wearing a red thong. Hot! He was doing tricks with a chainsaw while on his unicycle, all the while talking to the crowd, and telling jokes. It was extremely funny. Oh, and I was definitely not the only tourist around.

A couple things I noticed on my first day:

There were no pick-up trucks or SUV‘s. I did not see a single one.

Primed and ready for painting
Everybody seemed to drive compact cars or vans. And, to that extent, all the cars were BMWs or Mercedes’ or other expensive cars. Where did all the money come from? Also, there were a lot of motorcycles (not Harley’s) and Vespas in London. And, all vehicles looked brand new. Sher said that they don’t use salt on the roads, so that probably helps all the cars look so good-looking.

On my first-day journey, I’ve overheard all kinds of conversation. Some of my favourite words, so far, that I’ve heard include git, prat, and twat, which were names that I don’t think people wanted to be called.

Things to remember:

Pants = Underpants

Trousers = Pants

Potato Crisps = Potato Chips

Plaster = Bandages

Primed and ready for painting
Driver Under Instruction....not a …
Driver Under Instruction....not a…
London General Tips & Advice review
This is a great little book to have with you for reference, as it is full of maps- London, the theatre district, railway connections, and a full tube … read entire review
London General Tips & Advice review
This thing is a god send if you are in London for an extended period of time. It is incredibly convenient, as you just put money on it and go. No wa… read entire review
London Sights & Attractions review
This is an area featuring a market hall, shops, cafes, restaurants, and arts and crafts stalls. You’ll also find the Opera House here.
London General Tips & Advice review
This had to be one of the coolest stores, ever! The whole idea of it just amazes me. First off, it offers everything. You can find anything from MP… read entire review
London Sights & Attractions review
This is a big traffic junction of five streets, including Regent Street and Oxford Street. I assume this is like the Times Square of London, what wit… read entire review
London Sights & Attractions review
Built to commemorate the Battle of Trafalgar, this is the site of political demonstrations, big concerts, and is a major tourist attraction. Here, yo… read entire review
London