The journey to London

Kelowna Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 16 › view all entries

I asked my mom to drive me to the Kelowna airport, and we couldn’t get there fast enough. I was so excited to be going to London. It had been a long year of University, and I had just finished my first teaching practicum, and I was burnt out, so this vacation couldn’t have come at a better time. Also, I was really missing my two friends, Sherron and Heather (they’re sisters, and they are my two best friends).

We got to the airport at about 12pm. My flight was scheduled to leave at 2pm, so of course, because it was an international flight, I had to be there early. Check-in went fine, and then the wait was on. I’m sure everyone knows what it’s like to be looking forward to something so much, and then be forced to wait for it when it’s practically right at your fingertips. It was almost excruciating. However, it finally came time to leave, and I was so relieved. My journey was about to start!

I’ve always loved flying, but I have to say that this flight was the worst I’d ever been on. It was courtesy of Air Canada Jazz, and I seriously thought the plane was going to fall out of the sky. The longer the flight went on, the louder the plane got. It was quite unnerving. Lucky for me, the flight from Kelowna to Vancouver is only about 55 minutes. We landed in Vancouver at 3:05pm, where I would switch to Air Canada, and depart at 5:40, direct to Heathrow. Well, boarding was delayed, and didn’t start until 5:20. I have to say, though, that everything went really smoothly, and we were still able to take-off at 5:40. Our pilot rocked! After dinner and a movie (Ocean’s Twelve), I fell asleep. It was a nice 4 hour nap, after which I awoke to flying over the snowy tundra of who-knows where? I do know, courtesy of our pilot, that during the flight we flew over Fort McMurray, Northern Canada, Greenland, and Iceland. So, that snowy tundra could have been any one of those places. Personally, I think it was Baffin Island or Greenland. Wherever it was, it was really creepy, as it was dark, and all I could make out was dimmed light, snow drifts that looked similar to waves. It still haunts me…..

After falling back to sleep, albeit a terrible one in which I kept waking up, I awoke in time for breakfast and a little TV. It was light outside, so I was able to watch below as we flew over Scotland, then down over England, passing over places such as Manchester, Birmingham, and Oxford. The English countryside is one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen, as it was like looking at a patchwork quilt made of various shades of yellows, greens, and rusty reds. It was lovely. We finally arrived over London, where I was able to look down at the Thames River, The London Eye, big building and soccer stadiums. Hallelujah! It was almost over. I was really starting to get cramped up, and I was craving fresh air. Plus, I just wanted to see my friends, Sherron and Heather.

Finally, at about 10:50am, London time, we landed. After a flight that took about 9 hours and 20 minutes, I was going thorough customs (which was a nightmare), and about to meet up with my two best friends. And, I was in London for the first time. I was incredibly excited.

bkretzer says:
Loved this blog. You write well!
Posted on: Mar 03, 2008
peppertm says:
Ha, I was probably half asleep
Posted on: Feb 13, 2008
Antalescu says:
btw, i was in London this January, and I share your feelings, it is awsome :)
Posted on: Feb 13, 2008
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: world-traveller123