Kobe Travel Blog

The epicenter of the huge Kobe earthquake. Very simple memorial to the disaster. Made even more unreal was the fact that I was just learning of the tsunami in Asia as I was visiting here.
This day started with us just jumping onto the JR train and only expecting a simple day trip to Kobe, but it turned out to be a strange day that I will never forget.  One of the first things I try to do when traveling, every morning, is to try to by an English language newspaper.  However Takatsuki, Osaka does not see many westerners so it was not possible at in the morning until I got to Kobe.  At the Kobe station I was able to find one and buy one and quickly read the headlines about an earthquake in the Indian Ocean but there were very few details as it had only occurred a few hours before printing time. Only later in the day would I discover the full scale of the disaster.

Ironically the reason we went to Kobe was to check the museum of the huge earthquake that had happened many years ago.  I was some what disappointed as the museum really was only a wharf that had fallen into the harbour and had been left alone over the years.  So after quickly viewing this display we decided to explore and walked towards a hilly part of the city that was known to be home to many westerners.  We found a nice large English style pub that had CNN on theTV and for the first time we saw photos of what was happening in several countries after the earthquake caused the huge tsunami.  Of course it took days and even weeks until we really knew all the damage that had happened but it was strange to only be a few hundred meters from a older disaster sight and see a new one on the TV.  It was also the day I decided I wanted to visit Thailand and more specifically the Phuket region (I will be there in April 2008).

Kobe was a nice city that I would have enjoyed if not for the world events.  After seeing the  news stories from all the effected regions it sort of but a damper on the day.  We did so some more exploring and found some interesting homes on very narrow and hilly streets but all I remember is seeing those tourist filmed shots of the tsunami coming up the Phuket beach and wiping out everything in it's path.
The epicenter of the huge Kobe ear…
The epicenter of the huge Kobe ea…
photo by: ellechic