Another sad city and okonomiyaki by the tonnes.

Hiroshima Travel Blog

On of several looks at the A Bomb dome.
Back into big city Japan and time for more sad Japanese history.  We spent a day in Hiroshima for two reasons.  The first reason was because we wanted to see the famous Hiroshima A Bomb dome building.  The other was this city was home to a great amount of okonomiyaki restaurants.  Once we arrived we quickly located and the dome and walk around.  We did not stay long or visit the museum as we really did not feel up to it after already being to Nagaski.  We did however find a very moving children's memorial that was filled with origami cranes.

After taking a few photos and fighting through bad traffic on the city's street cars we found the strangest restaurant building I have ever been to.  If you know Japanese food you likely know what okonomiyaki is.  If not here is how wikipedia explains it (Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き?) is a Japanese dish consisting of a pan-fried batter cake and various ingredients.
Okonomi means "what you like" or "what you want", and yaki means "grilled" or "cooked".)  Outside of sushi and karaage, okonomiyaki is my favorite food.  Osaka and Hiroshima both claim to have the best okonomiyaki though each city cooks it slightly different.  This building was home to dozens and dozens of okonomiyaki cafes most of them not much larger then a take out cafe you would see in most North American shopping centers.

We walked into this strange building very hungry but not sure how to choose.  The first couple of floors were very busy so we just kept climbing stairs to a less busy section until we saw one that looked appealing.  I have heard that some foreigners, that now live in Hiroshima, attempt to eat at as many of these cafes as possible.  After eating there for both lunch and dinner Akiko wanted to know if I thought Hiroshima or Osaka okonomiyaki was better.  Back then I was married to her so I remember safely saying of course Osaka, but really I have no idea as I like both.

On of several looks at the A Bomb …
On of several looks at the A Bomb…
The childrens memorial.