Mahsuri, the tale from the East

Langkawi Travel Blog

Local fishermans
A pretty maiden died under tragic circumstances for a crime she did not commit 200 years ago. Mahsuri was punished to death of commiting adultery with a handsome minstrel visiting the island while her husband was away.
As proof of her innocence, WHITE blood was seen gushing out of her wound during execution, as a sign of mourning. On her dying breath she cursed the island, "For this act of injustice Langkawi shall not prosper for seven generations to come."

That is the famous Malay tale among traditional folklore for generations. I've had to see this to be believed.

My yearly trip back home was planned up to Langkawi Island upnorth of Peninsula Malaysia. It's bordering to Thailand.
I drove my car with my two nephews 4 hours from the town where I live.

Boarded the ferry and spent 3 nights in this beautiful Island. The view simlply breathtaking! I'd say paradise on earth. Craved for the food I had full Malay cuisine all the time. The only thing that upset me little bit was the hostel we stayed first 2 nights. Its just ok not great. It was operated by local people but owned by this westerner. The accommodation was fine but the its location was poor. I guessed that's why they building this so called hostel for really budget travellers. It was 2 rigidly parallel blocks seemed to be located at leftover or vacant space. And to get to the beach we had to pass through this 4 star chalet/hotel and there was curfew. In the morning we wanted to swim our holiday in the beach but were told cannot passing through this chalet/hotel. The day before it was like 150 metres away to the beach but that morning we were like walking 1 km just to get to the beach. This didn't seems strange to me as the local myself, my countrymen have double standard toward local and foreign tourists.

The datai