Zolfo Springs to Titusville, FL., Kennedy Space Center, Valient Air Museum

Titusville Travel Blog

Titusville Elks Lodge

After returning from my visit with my friend in Fort Lauderdale, I returned to Zolfo Springs and packed up and left for Titusville. This leg took me through Orlando in a driving rain and Disney traffic. Not a lot of fun!

Found the Elks Lodge and parked in back with water and electric but no sewer hookup so have to be careful on my water use. The folks at this lodge were great and I met several who had lived in the same area of California I had left. It is a small world. The Lodge served dinner 5 nights a week and the meals were good.

Titusville is right across a bay from Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center.

Kennedy Space Center
The beach just north of the Space Center is a National Seashore and has miles of beaches including a nude area which of course I visited. Never saw so many beached whales in my life. Not very scenic. LMAO.

On June 17, the shuttle was scheduled to land here but it was rained out and it was redirected to Edwards in California. Too bad as it would have been interesting to witness a landing.

Spent 2 days visiting Kennedy Space Center and took all of the tours and loved it. One highlight was to see the shuttle transporter in motion driving at about 2 MPH back from the launch pad. It used an enormous amount of fuel and they measure it in terms of gallons per foot not miles per gallon. The Kennedy Space Center is another don't miss if you get a chance to see it.

The weather during my stay was very rainy and the place I had parked at the Lodge had a small river flowing through. Big storks and other birds were feasting on small fish flowing down the stream right behind my rig. I had an interesting visitor, a 30 pound snapping turtle came sauntering by. Gators were in the slough behind me but did not come up for a visit. You could hear them at night bellowing. Guess they were looking for a date.

Down the road from the Elks Lodge, I found a small air museum. Valient Air had a small collection of older planes and the visit was short.

Summary:

Elks Lodges - 7   Escapee Parks - 5    Public RV parks - 4    Nat'l Parks - 6             Battleships - 1    Forts - 3

Big snapping turtle